Greetings and Aloha

Got to take advantage of the weather in Hawaii.
    I started hydroponics last year and had good success. I did not like the measuring and mixing of nutrients though and since I am naturally lazy...I looked for something "easier". I heard read a little on aquaponics and decided that would be the next test. I built a small system in my office and was successful with growing eggplant and chili peppers. So now I just built a patio system that is using a 20 gallon tote as a fish tank that is over-flowing into a 5 gallon bucket that collects larger material. I pump from this to two 20 gallon mixing tubs that I bought from home depot. I plan on using one as a floating system and the other I put 1" of red cinder and will place individual trays (netpots or other small containers) filled with hydrotron to grow peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumber.
    I have been cycling the water for a week and I have started adding fish. I will be using guppies since them little critters like to make lots of babies
    I have been reading a lot about ap and feel fortunate to come across this forum so I can ask, learn, grow and share.
    When I learn how to post pictures, I will so I can get some feedback from the knowledge-base found here.
    Thank you,
    Don
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Re: Greetings and Aloha

Hi Don, welcome to the forum...

You might consider taking a tour at Friendlys Aquaponics or Coastveiw Aquaponics. I belive they have free tours once a month. You might pick up a few ideas... ...and become even more addicted... :P...
    Not sure, I think they are on the big island.

Posting pictures...I store my picts at photobucket...then post the 'img code' here.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

First off, for images, put them into Photobucket or some other such free online photo storage site. Then click on the photo and get the url for it and click on the "Img" item above when posting and put the URL there. Such as seen here my grapes from last summer.

So now you have no excuse....pictures...we love lot'sa pictures
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

This is a system a friend and I set up for my church
    55 gal drum for fish tank in the corner over flowing into a clarifier to remove larger debris then gravity feeding to buckets filled with red cinder - returning through NFT (fence post) to sump tank and then getting pumped back up to fish tank. The clarifier is also flowing to a small floating raft tub.
    This was an experiment but turned out pretty good...
    Don

this is my back patio home system that I just put together
    27 gallon tote as a fish tank overflow using 3/4" fitting into 5 gallon bucket
    pumping up to 2 - 20 gallon grow beds...(I want to add a few more buckets soon)
    Using stand pipe to regulate water and flow back to fish tank
    I let it cycle for about a week and grew impatient and added fish and plants....impatience and constantly tinkerin' will ruin me yet
    I am using guppies (they multiply fast ) and I have peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers growing nicely)
    I will take more pics soon and update.
    Don

I applaud your enthusiasm however, unless you have a sh*t load of guppies, I doubt if they will produce enough effluent water to do your plants any good.

I myself raise a few guppies but they are in the house and only to look at. I confess that I have been a guppy fan for years.

Your best bet are about 4 or so good sized, big bodied gold fish such as Ryukins or Red Cap Orandas. They will eat continuously if you feed them, but you can over feed them in their enthusiasm to eat and it will kill them. They will produce all the effluent water you need for a system the size you have now. I say big bodied because goldfish like Comets etc. are and will jump out of a tank.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Thank you for that advice.
    currently there are about 40 guppies in the tank...
    they are small but seems to be making lots of waste
    I will go get a few goldfish to "help" them
    thanks again,
    Don

Guppies make nice high-protein Fish Food for larger fish - Tilapia love 'em
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Just a thought for those just starting out building AP systems....
    My pump just failed last night so I had to go out today to buy a new one....
    I bought 2....It is a great idea to have spares of essential material/equipment on hand...If this had happened on a Sunday or holiday, it would have been difficult and more costly to buy a new pump to get my system back in operation....
    Calm down everyone...No fish were harmed in this malfunction....

Members

Glad that you didn't lose any fish. Sound advice regarding the back ups. I have some redundancy in my system and am adding more to allow for a failure. Would be nice to setup a 12V pump of a deep cycle battery with a solar trickle charger. Thus pump or grid failure and in still set. Maybe down the road.