Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Members

Adjusting PH and adding worms

So I finally got my system built and up and running. I have been running for about five days now (I know, that is hardly any time at all) on a fishless cycle adding ammonia. My base PH after adding water and running for a couple days is 8.2. I have read that the ideal pH is 6.8 to 7. I am hoping I can lower my pH some before I get the fish in there, although I don't need to get all the way there yet as I understand a fully cycled system tends to drop pH naturally.

Here is what I have done so far, day 2 I added a tablespoon of general hyroponics pH down to my 600 gallon system (not knowing anything at all about how it would effect it). Then day three added 8 tablespoons but the pH is still 8.2. day 4 added a cup and a half (24 tablespoons) and that brought the pH down to 7.4 when I tested again three hours later. So I thought that was perfect for where I wanted it for now. But today when I did my morning test, it is back up to 8.2. I am using viastone clay rocks, which is supposed to be the same as hydroton and keep a neutral ph. I tested the rocks in vinegar and they do not fizz. Is the pH down supposed to stabalize at the lower setting or will it always go back up to where my base water supply is and I would have to continually add pH down daily (which I would not do). I have not added water to the system but we did have a light rain last night. I don't think I have anything else in my tank that could possibly be raising it. I am a complete amature at this.

Next question I had was about when to add worms. I have a few plants planted and will be adding more soon. I have read they can help add the bacteria needed for cycling but my concern is what would they eat since I do not have fish. Just curious about that. I like worms, and would add them as soon as i can, but I don't want to be too hasty.

Thanks for the help.
    ~Mak

"There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet and the population keeps growing "

Members

Re: Adjusting PH and adding worms

you can put worms in now..
    i'd wouldn't bother chasing the ph.. it's fine (especially for cycling) and any nutrients that might be "locked out" of your plants during this time can be added with something like maxicrop with iron..
    after your system has been running, your ph will drop... and you'll probably have to buffer it back up

A lot of people put worms in their grow beds...I don't. Think about it...what does a worm do They eat...right...and when they eat, what comes out the other end? Worm poo.....DIRT..

Regardless of what others may say and do in their systems and what you may have heard, sooner or later you are going to have to take all your media out and re-wash it to get the worm poo out, otherwise what you have is a gravel/dirt bed and your dream of an almost maintenance free Aquaponics System is history.

As for the PH, don't worry about it....just let it cycle naturally. If you have any old aquarium filter floss laying around, put that in your A/P filter...that will help jump start the system.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Thanks, I won't bother adjusting my pH then. Just let it be. I went ahead and added worms, since I love those little creatures Good to know I will need to clean out my gb from time to time. I already had to pull out all the rocks from one of my growbeds because it had a leak. Luckily it was not that difficult. I am going to look for some maxi-crop, just in case I need it. Thanks again.
    ~Mak

"There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet and the population keeps growing "

I run a reasonable fish to grow bed ratio and I've never had to clean my grow beds.

I contest JCO's logic because worms just eat and break down what is already in the grow bed. If you have problems with too much worm poo your problem isnt the worms. If anything they are helping the existing matter break down faster and dissolve.

brian

worms just eat and break down what is already in the grow bed
    You are absolutely right in your quote above and I rest my case. They do not remove anything, they just turn it to worm poo and I speak from not only my experience but the statements of others. Worm poo does not break down because it is pure dirt. Maybe you should check your grow beds to see just what you are growing your veggies in, and Aquaponics system or a Aqua/dirt system.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

a little about "worm poo" or worm castings as they are more commonly called;
    Astounding Facts About Earthworm Casts:
    Castings contain more microogansisms,
    Castings contain more inorganic minerals,
    Castings contain more organic matter,
    and in a form more readily available to plants.........
    ........than is contained in soil!

Other Good Things Found in the Worm Poop
    The lowly worm cast is chock full of other useful and essential goodies as well. Also included in this tiny little package:

Enzymes
    Proteases
    Amylases
    Lipase,
    Cellulase
    These compounds continue to breakdown organic matter even after it has been excreted from the worms

worms imho are a good thing in a growbed.. they don't remove anything but they do "mineralize" solid wastes and worm poo is not 100% dirt!

I'm with JCO on this ..... unless you want to clean your GB's every so often, I wouldn't bother with worms, whether they leave poop or castings, it still clutters up your GB - more work to do.

As far as getting a system to cycle, I read recently on a Phillipines site that they use a bag or more of chicken manure (high in ammonia) hanging in the water to start the cycling - when the tank has cycled they pull out the manure bag and all is good! I think that this kind of ammonia would probably be more natural (can we say 'Organic' without the USDA suing us for using a term that they have appropriated?), rather than using an ammonia purchased from the local grocery which may or may not be a synthetic ammonia
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

JCO and/or jackalope

Assuming a grow bed with worms needs to be cleaned every so often... Please explain to me why you do not need to clean a grow bed that has no worms?

brian

I guess i will go ahead and finish my argument. I think my point is obvious that matter isnt created nor detroyed....

the worms are not "creating" castings or "dirt' The castings are converted from pre-existing matter in the grow bed, the worms just change it from fish poo or plant matter or whatever.

Without worms, you would get the same amount of buildup of solids.

brian