So I finally got my system built and up and running. I have been running for about five days now (I know, that is hardly any time at all) on a fishless cycle adding ammonia. My base PH after adding water and running for a couple days is 8.2. I have read that the ideal pH is 6.8 to 7. I am hoping I can lower my pH some before I get the fish in there, although I don't need to get all the way there yet as I understand a fully cycled system tends to drop pH naturally.

Here is what I have done so far, day 2 I added a tablespoon of general hyroponics pH down to my 600 gallon system (not knowing anything at all about how it would effect it). Then day three added 8 tablespoons but the pH is still 8.2. day 4 added a cup and a half (24 tablespoons) and that brought the pH down to 7.4 when I tested again three hours later. So I thought that was perfect for where I wanted it for now. But today when I did my morning test, it is back up to 8.2. I am using viastone clay rocks, which is supposed to be the same as hydroton and keep a neutral ph. I tested the rocks in vinegar and they do not fizz. Is the pH down supposed to stabalize at the lower setting or will it always go back up to where my base water supply is and I would have to continually add pH down daily (which I would not do). I have not added water to the system but we did have a light rain last night. I don't think I have anything else in my tank that could possibly be raising it. I am a complete amature at this.

Next question I had was about when to add worms. I have a few plants planted and will be adding more soon. I have read they can help add the bacteria needed for cycling but my concern is what would they eat since I do not have fish. Just curious about that. I like worms, and would add them as soon as i can, but I don't want to be too hasty.

Thanks for the help.