Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Remote Monitoring

Hi,
    After one too many water level issues, heater failures, and a need to remotely feed while on vacation I developed a remote monitoring system for my tilapia aquaponic system.

I think its pretty cool (my wife thinks I'm crazy.)

It has a graphic user interface that presents temperature, pH, conductivity and water level and flow data. It updates its status to the web and sends alerts to a text message system on your cell phone. It will also feed at specific times or via email. The possibilities are endless.

My questions are something like this. Is this something that everyone already has? Is this something that you would like to have? If you already have a computer, the cost is pretty small considering what it does.

I would like to help set up a more complicated system on a larger aquaculture system. I would donate my time and software if anyone is interested.
    Let me know.
    Cheers,
    Greg
    Ontario, Canada
    Tilapia

Re: Remote Monitoring

Let's see some pictures please.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

It's all about the fish, dude.

Members

David - Thanks for posting the Apex controller system. I had some ideas about including graphs in my GUI.

The current GUI system looks like this.

I am planning on adding graphs to show current and historic levels shortly.
    Keep in mind, this is in development.
    Any other suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Members

Does anyone know the cost of having email or text alerts from the Apex system?

Quote Originally Posted by glebreton
    Does anyone know the cost of having email or text alerts from the Apex system?
    There's not really any "extra" cost... the Apex uses our existing internet connection & e-mail account.

I have the Apex hooked to a D-link wireless bridge from the fish farm building to my office computer (in another building) that's connected to the (cable) internet. The Apex & D-link are plugged into a UPS... along with our 16-camera video system that I can also view remotely.

I can log in to the Apex from my laptop at home or using my Android phone; besides being able to receive alarms/alerts by text or e-mail.

The apex pricing seems very reasonable for a commercial system ... i would consider monitoring a must have right next to inline backup power and standby pumps.

But i'm interested in working on a DIY version for home use.

glebetron. What do you use to collect data? from your picture i see you are currently tracking (or plan to track) temp, water level and flow.

I would like to do temp, flow and ph as a minimum. Would also be interested in ppm (conductivity?)

My background is system administration but i write a lot of code for my job to automate tasks. I am good at algorithms, logic and decent at database design and implementation. I have put some thought into a project like this. Maybe design probes using aduino. but i am not skilled in ee or aduino and was never motivated enough to try to learn it.

brian

Members

Bcotton;
    Currently I am collecting data and controlling relays with an Arduino. The probes could be added to the system easily and I plan on doing that shortly. While conductivity can be measured "easily" I think I just add a commercially available probe for EC and pH.
    Not a terribly difficult learning curve for the arduino.

Members

Thanks David.
    Sounds like the Apex system is pretty complete. I assume you must have a massive operation. Is the Apex system flexible enough for what you want? Can you modify the interface as much as your operation needs? I guess I'm asking if they custom build for a system of your size.
    Thanks again.
    Greg

Yes, you can add something like 256 modules... more than 1,000 independently controlled outlets and hundreds of probes; so I don't think we'll ever "outgrow" it.

I like what you're doing, I just don't see how you can come close to the APEX system for the price. By the time you work out a web-server, remote monitoring & control, build relay modules to control things, etc.

They (Neptune Systems) claim that "galvanic isolation" of the various probe circuits is essential in order to get reliable, accurate readings, FWIW.

The APEX manual is here, maybe there are some ideas you can use: http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-con...nce-Manual.pdf