Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Plywood / Fiberglass Tanks

I was planning to make a couple of plywood tanks, but I was put off by the costs of the fiberglassing and the epoxy paint ....... I'm just going to buy 100 gallon Rubbermaid Stock Tanks ($79.00 at Ace Hardware) and possibly plastic gutters for the riverbeds. I need to go the cheapest route possible. I've also got some other ideas, but first things first
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope
    I was planning to make a couple of plywood tanks, but I was put off by the costs of the fiberglassing and the epoxy paint ....... I'm just going to buy 100 gallon Rubbermaid Stock Tanks ($79.00 at Ace Hardware) and possibly plastic gutters for the riverbeds. I need to go the cheapest route possible. I've also got some other ideas, but first things first
    I too am looking at the cost but I don't think it will be bad. The tank strength comes from the wooden structure not from the fiberglass / resin like in many other structure / application..

The resin is the water proofing and the cloth / hardner will mainly be used in the corners or to cover screws. Applying 2 to 3 coats of resin should be enough to water proof the tank and I wouldn't think that would take more then two quarts on a 4 x 4 x 3 tank. I didn't get a chance to talk to my friend yesturday but I will see him today and will ask what he thinks. Hopefully I may get a better idea of what is involved

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/how-to-use/

Quote Originally Posted by TerryC.

I too am looking at the cost but I don't think it will be bad. The tank strength comes from the wooden structure not from the fiberglass / resin like in many other structure / application..

The resin is the water proofing and the cloth / hardner will mainly be used in the corners or to cover screws. Applying 2 to 3 coats of resin should be enough to water proof the tank and I wouldn't think that would take more then two quarts on a 4 x 4 x 3 tank. I didn't get a chance to talk to my friend yesturday but I will see him today and will ask what he thinks. Hopefully I may get a better idea of what is involved

I was going to paint the inside and outside, the paint would flow into any hairline fractures in the fiberglass ..... hopefully .......

I'm wondering if any figerglass is needed. Looking that site over, it looks like the epoxy sealant is all that is needed for waterproofing. Maybe some figerglass tape in the seams. What do you think?
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    I'm wondering if any figerglass is needed. Looking that site over, it looks like the epoxy sealant is all that is needed for waterproofing. Maybe some figerglass tape in the seams. What do you think?
    That is the conclusion I keep coming up with. Reinforce the corners, seems, and any exposed scews with fabric and resin for the rest. My friend said that a little over a quart of 105 will work. He knows this stuff pretty well. This is his plywood / fiberglass (hydrofoil) sail boat he built http://www.tc-pro.com/doug081809/_MG_0048_thumb.htm

The resin hardner ratio is 5:1 Looking at a local dealer of west epoxy, a quart is $36.00 and the hardener is $39.00 (which is enough to harden 2 quarts+) So your still looking at over a $100.00 for epoxy alone. Add in plywood and 2 x 4 you are now pushing the $200.00 mark for a 300 gal tank. I haven't priced the good plywood yet (a/b) but I would think a sheet wood be $25.00 + I may go price it today or tomorrow if I get a chance.

Members

I was going to paint the inside and outside, the paint would flow into any hairline fractures in the fiberglass ..... hopefully .......
    I would think for the outside you could use thompsons water sealer or a like product. It wouldn't come in contact with the inside of the tank and would help if you had a water spill. If you had enough resin left over, you could use one or two coats if you wanted to. Something to think about.

I would think for the outside you could use thompsons water sealer or a like product. It wouldn't come in contact with the inside of the tank and would help if you had a water spill. If you had enough resin left over, you could use one or two coats if you wanted to. Something to think about.
    Yeah, but I've got a different plan now .... I think it will work better for me .... (about 450 gallons) .... I might have to break a few laws (of physics) first, but it's something I'm gonna try

Members

Yeah, but I've got a different plan now .... I think it will work better for me .... (about 450 gallons) .... I might have to break a few laws (of physics) first, but it's something I'm gonna try
    break a few laws (of physics) Oh do tell