Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Re: What are my peppers lacking?

Quote Originally Posted by Basil1
    So the bell pepper started producing, have at least a dozen bells growing. Now something is eating holes in them. Just can't win.
    Spray them with a little bit of soapy water, that's what my wife used to keep them off our veggies I think she uses Castille soap (available at many grocers and health-food stores)
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

It's a rat.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Members

Damn, it's a never ending battle huh?!? Is soap safe for both the plants and us? I just ask, because I am trying to steer clear of any chemicals I do not need. I have heard this gardening tip from others, but they also load their plants up with MiracleGrow and pesticides like its a going out of style. Could you use like a garlic spray?

I have a feeling I will be facing the same problem. I was cleaning out my gutters, for setting up my rain barrels, and a HUGE rat came running out at me after disturbing his leaf bed in my gutter! Almost drove me off the roof! I also have 2 families of squirrels living in the oaks on my property.

Members

you really really don't want any soap to get into your ft water...
    i've tried the garlic/hot pepper spray... not much help for aphids... once i started using beneficial insects/nematodes things improved dramatically, until my system was basically ignored for 6 months (only doing top-ups and feeding the fish)....

Members

keith - I might be getting some lady bugs soon, as I think I have a leaf cutter bug (is that right?). I have been finding tons of leaves, cut right at the base of the plant, all over my GB's. I have searched under all the leaves, but haven't found anything.

As for rodents, is there a special spray? Does garlic/hot pepper work on them?

Planning on picking up some ladybugs at the Green Thumb festival if not before. The pepper spray did nothing for me for aphids either and dealing with ants as well. May have to design a wire cover for the pepper to keep it away. Or a pellet gun with night vision goggles.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Members

I think the pellet gun will be the best and fun approach! Thanks for mentioning the Green Thumb festival, maybe I can convince the girlfriend to come with me. Right now she is mad I spend more time with my plants and fish than her

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaChris
    I think the pellet gun will be the best and fun approach! Thanks for mentioning the Green Thumb festival, maybe I can convince the girlfriend to come with me. Right now she is mad I spend more time with my plants and fish than her
    My wife and I went last year and had some fun. This weekend is Alchemy Fest, a natural arts and crafts type show with entertainment and hopefully Pinellas Gardening Collective doing a seed swap.

Members

ladybugs rule..
    if you buy some,, don't release immediately, place them in the fridge.. in the early evening water your plants (i use ft water in a watering can), and just at dark release some of your ladybugs.. they'll be thirsty at first and more likely to stick around for longer..
    you can store the rest of the ladybugs in the fridge and release more every couple weeks until they're all free

Thanks Keith