Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: What are my peppers lacking?

So looks like all guesses were off. The peppers have no heat what so ever so jalapeno and cayenne are off the table. Only thing left I have are Marconi peppers. At least they taste good.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Members

basil1 there are new jalapeno peppers that have flavor but no heat, unfortunately when i go to the grocery store to pick up jalapenos they could either be as mild as bells or so hot i can't hardly eat them. they were developed at NMSU (New Mexico State University) in Las Cruces where they have huge green houses dedicated to just peppers.

I purchased seeds from them of over 30 varieties from no heat jalapenos to Bhut Jolokias. so i guess you will never know for sure. also remember the amount of water given to peppers varies the heat; so peppers grown in my aquaponics systems here in San Jose, CA are much milder then those grown in the ground at my home in Deming, New Mexico desert country. the largest producer of NM green chiles varies the heat according to the market he will sell them to with the quantity of irrigation. they are graded medium, hot, x-hot and xx-hot on the cardboard crates they are shipped in.

I did not know that. I know the jalapenos the seeds came from were hot, does that make any difference?
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Members

not necessarily depends on if the parents where homozygous or heterozygous for the Scoville units of heat. my experience is chiles in an aquaponics or vermiponics system are not as hot as those grown with just enough water to keep them healthy. i don't know about other farmers.

Interesting. I asked because habaneros I grew last year aquaponically were just as hot as the originals. Hope something hot grows.

Members

Have some pepper problems. From what I read in this thread, it is a calcium deficiency and was going to places crushed leftover Easter eggs above the gravel.

Cal. Wonder Orange Bell Pepper plant

Banana pepper plant

Members

i'd bury the shells under the gravel a couple inches

Members

Do I need to do anything to the egg shells (i.e soaking them in anything) or just throw them under the gravel and around the roots?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaChris
    Do I need to do anything to the egg shells (i.e soaking them in anything) or just throw them under the gravel and around the roots?
    Check out page 'one' of this thread. Look for urbanfarmer's post on ...Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:27 pm...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Dave,
    That was my game plane. Just wanted to ask and make sure that was still valid info. I added some maxi crop today just to be safe? Water is still brownish.