Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: What are my peppers lacking?

This is the easiest brand of grit to find around here.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753601
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Not a chemist, didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn, but a quick perusal of the ingredients msds sheets gives one pause. Couple of items on there that show harmful side effects is ingested and one that had no other purpose except as coloring and to cause possible harmful side effects if swallowed. Maybe the amounts would not be enough to cause harm, still looking for info.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that two days after adding Epsom salts and egg shell the blooms on the eggplant have started falling off. Not seeing any changes yet in the peppers, maybe I'm just impatient.

Eggplants have dioecious flowers; so, the male flowers fall off when they are "done" doing their thing. Most of the cucurbits I have grown put out male flowers first in their life cycle, well before the female flowers show. The female flowers have a little "baby" fruit visible. Which ones fell off?

Quote Originally Posted by Basil1
    This is the easiest brand of grit to find around here.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753601
    Crushed eggshells make great grit!

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Eggplants have dioecious flowers; so, the male flowers fall off when they are "done" doing their thing. Most of the cucurbits I have grown put out male flowers first in their life cycle, well before the female flowers show. The female flowers have a little "baby" fruit visible. Which ones fell off?
    I was under the impression eggplant had "perfect" flowers.

And crushed eggshell is what I used.

Oh, I stand corrected. I've grown it once many many years ago, you see. It's not a cucurbits at all. It's in the same family as tomatoes. Anyway, if it fell off at the base and not just the petals (with a tiny fruit growing), then it definitely is a sign of stress from something (unless it really didn't get fertilized, which I doubt).

It's not a cucurbits at all. It's in the same family as tomatoes.
    Off topic....odd fact...I read at Tomatoville, that some folks use the base of eggplants to graft on tomatoes....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

It's for disease resistance, better nutrient uptake, drought tolerance, etc.

Oh, I stand corrected. I've grown it once many many years ago, you see. It's not a cucurbits at all. It's in the same family as tomatoes. Anyway, if it fell off at the base and not just the petals (with a tiny fruit growing), then it definitely is a sign of stress from something (unless it really didn't get fertilized, which I doubt).
    They broke off at the stems, not just the petals. It's possible they just haven't fertilized properly. One of the other peppers is blooming like crazy but so far not been able to coax any peppers out of it.