Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: What are my peppers lacking?

Very cool, thanks. The lighting is different due to the amount of leaves over the peppers. Going to try the epsom salt and see what happens. Can't wait til the ghost peppers start blooming and to see if the eggplant bears fruit.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Members

you are lacking more then just calcium and magnesium. somewhere in the these archives is the name of a product available from hydroponics suppliers that provides the lacking or low nutrients or you can get one step closer to what you need with the addition of composting earthworms such as E. hortensis (euro nightcrawlers), P. excavatus (malaysian blues), or E. fetida (red wigglers).
    i prefer adding azomite or aggie lime over egg shells. but watching the egg shells dissolve in cider vinegar is fun.

i initially had to manually pollinate the Bhut Jolokias it is not hot enough in San Jose, CA to really have them do well outside of the green house. in fact just lost the last three plants in the aquaponics system to a freeze. unlike some other chiles i found they like their feet wet.

rfeiller, I fear you are right buddy!

The only reason I suggested adding just those calcium and magnesium first is that it will increase the plants uptake of OTHER nutrients as well (hopefully). The new growth should give a good indication thereafter to see if we need to do more. I'm a "more is less" kinda farmer!

Interesting, all (maybe a few exceptions, none come to mind) plants that people have trouble with regarding "wet feet" is just an issue with oxygen reaching the plant roots. Most short lived vegetable crops species are not particularly well suited for drought conditions; so, they do love water. Of course, some plants have a lot of trouble if they start lacking nutrients and are less than healthy. They are constantly battling bacteria, pests, and fungal diseases to name a few. The only reason I say all this is because I have literally grown dozens and dozens of strains in AP and soil and the AP peppers always explode in growth compared to the soil based peppers (I say this to avoid a scientific ramble as to why plant roots are not in the least bit "bothered" by "wet feet").

Around here the peppers get visited by many pollinators. 90% (pulled it out my ass statistic) of the time that I put a new plant out with flowers on it, I will see this very specific wasp show up out of nowhere and start hitting the flowers hard. Maybe we're lucky around here with that! However, have you thought about stingless bees or even black soldier flies? Flies are almost as good at pollinating as bees!

Compost and worms are a great way to go. Actually, I came on here to suggest Azomite (As I was thinking about Ca deficiency regarding one of my plants and realized I was going to use some I have and I neglected to mention it here). This is a brand name, you can find just about any rock dust that contains calcium. Ag lime is very cheap as well, but not cheaper than leftover eggshells!

Here are some calcium options: http://nrcca.cals.cornell.edu/nutrient/CA4/CA0429.php

I am considering getting another 50 lbs bag of Sul Po Mag for this next season. It has a lot of potassium, but it often contains Calcium as well depending who you get it from (found it for less than $1 a pound, not sure if this is a good price). There are SO many options!

Post pics of the new growth for us if you get a chance Basil!

First, thanks for the info. Just want to make sure you guys also realize how these are setup. The plants are in plastic coffee containers filled with eco-balls set into a plastic tub in an aquarium of large tropical fish with a 130 watt CFL above it. This is in the house so free roaming, flying, ranging insects not an option. With that in mind, putting worms into the containers would do what? Are all the products you mentioned totally fish safe? Would hate to lose my two foot eel just to get better pepper growth.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

The worms would just break down organic matter. This often releases vital nutrients for the plant that would otherwise remain locked up. You can definitely put them in there, but it sounds like the fish solids don't really make their way into there if I'm understanding you correctly. I would just get a little calcium in there when you can, but magnesium will make it start showing improvement. The plants can use some Mg in place of Ca; so, this will offset the deficiency immediately as well.

No, the solids don't really make it in there at all unless they have broken down somewhat, get kicked up and go through the holes on the bin and cans so I don't think they would have much to eat. I do have a bin of wigglers to eat scraps and as an occasional fish treat, so in a way they do get in there. Did add a pinch of epsom salt to each container and will see how it goes.

Members

right didn't understand your setup
    worms do many different things to the organics/microbes they ingest since you have composting worms Basil1 you probably are aware of at least some of what they do. with the fear of being banned from this site; i believe they provide more to the ponics systems then the fish do, but not a whole lot of people are into using earthworms for their meat source and this is what aquaponics is about a total efficient compact self contained system. if composting worms can be incorporated i believe it broadens the selection of quality food crops that can be produced. however, even without the worms with an addition of at least CA and Mg you will note a much better growing environment for your plants either ornamental or food.
    I use to use epsom salts to bring tropical fish out of shock and crushed coral or oyster shells have been incorporated in both freshwater and saltwater systems for 30yrs that i know of for wet dry systems if nothing else then to provide CA for the microbes
    Don't know what kind of eel you have tire track or fire eel?

Rich

Fire eel, had him since he was about 4 inches. Free swims when hungry, comes up to be hand fed.

@Basil1
    Have you ever though about raising eels as food? I have no idea how hard it is to raise or breed them, but the price for these things are insane. It would be worth looking into if you're interested!

@Rich
    LOL who would dare ban you? Well, maybe that JCO guy... he's been pretty ban happy these days kidding

Well, now I am very interested. Do you mean that the worms can be eaten? Hm, I think you've confused the term "ban" with the phrase "throw up on my computer monitor". Don't worry, happens to me all the time. But seriously, eating the worms? Taste would be my primary concern since proper cooking would make it safe to eat. My other concern would be bioaccumulation of toxins, but this would most likely not be an issue in semi-closed AP systems. I wonder if there are any long term studies on long term human consumption of worms? I would imagine with all the trouble it would take to prepare such a lackluster meal, it would be easier to feed 'em to the fish and eat the fish (cause ya know, it would taste like fish and not worms).

Okay, don't keep me in suspense anymore. Spill the worms Rich!

I was hoping he meant as a meat source for the fish.