Hi davidstcldfl and urbanfarmer..! Thanks for your interest. I have figured that incorporating the worm bins would probably be my biggest challenge setting up. I have considered a few things for that very thing. As for soaking the beds and the possibility of causing an “anaerobic” environment, causing the worms stress, or even worse, killing the worms, I have considered two things: partitioning the beds or providing a path for the water to flow through easily, possibly over and through some sort of biofilter media like the river rock or gravel I have read about and Oliver suggested. I may possibly try to design a water passage or trough with 4” pvc, standing up on one end, with holes drilled all around to allow the water to run through easily and then also seep out into the surrounding bedding and hopefully create a wicking action for keeping the rest of the bed moistened, thus avoiding saturating the entire bin. I also thought about creating some sort of feeding trough in the same manner, 4” pvc, standing on one end, with the holes drilled all around, with a removable cap, as to fill with food scaps and re-cover (got that idea from a worm tunnel video I saw on youtube). That way the water is not running directly through the decomposing food while the worms are feeding or waiting to feed. As for the bins becoming anaerobic, I’m wondering if the constant flow of well areated water will provide enough oxygen to eliminate that risk, if not, there is always the possibility of aerating the bins directly with an air line somehow. And of course frequent tending may be necessary. I’m already sifting my bins once or twice a month, collecting casting and re-freshening with new bedding (coconut coir). I’ve been trying to build up a composting system to go through a 5 gallon bucket of produce scraps and another 5 gallon bucket of coffee ground each week, but taking about 2 weeks right now. Maybe it’ll help now that I will be doubling my composting bin system’s volume. I’ve even thought about cycling my bins in and out of the system (3 in, 3 out). This definitely needs a lot more thought, and I’m sure there will be a lot of adjustments and tweaking during and throughout the process.

As for the cycling of the water quality, I'm concerned about what chemicals or additives that can be added to a food producing system. I use “Cycle” for my aquariums every couple of months after a deep cleaning. But I have thought about using some of the filter media that I have had in my aquarium filter for some time now as well as the activated carbon media that Is in the filter media cartridges. I’m sure there are quite a nice population of colonies there about now, maybe I’ll even throw in some of the aquarium gravel stuffed into some panty hose. What can I do to eliminate the chlorine in the fresh water that will be added ..?? I use AmQuel and NovQuel for my tropical aquariums, but I’m wondering about an organic food producing system…??.

How about lighting…I’m considering 2 – 4ft/8bulb flourescents per4x8 grow bed. But I’m wondering if I could get more production out of 1 – 4ft/8bulb fluorescent per 3x6 grow bed and add an addition 2 beds to my system..?? Cons-only 6 additional growing area, Pros-additional growing production sights for additional types of lettuces..?? Any thoughts on lighting requirements.

Ahhh..!!! So many questions..so little time…!!

Thanks again y'all…