Members

Concentrated fish affluent

Can you have TOO MUCH Fish Fetal matter in you lower tank to pump to your flood and drain grow bed ?? Suppose you did not have to worry about the fish ,in the tank and the effect on them?? This is a serious question ,I am asking because I back Back flush my mechanical Sand and Gravel filter on my pond and expell that liquid to other uses out side the pond ,and I do it every week 50 -75 gals .just suppose it went to the bottom tank w/o fish and was pumped up to a flood and drain system in upper grow beds.with worms and recharged every week ,excess over flows for other growing uses.
    Your opinions and comments requested !! Thanks Carl
    It's not what you look at as much as what you see!

It is what it is ,Till YOU CHANGE IT!

Members

Re: Concentrated fish affluent

yes, you can have too much crap
    when you backflush your filter, can you capture that water in a drum? if so, after your done backflushing, drop an airstone in the drum and let it percolate for a day, then pull the airstone out.. when the water settles you can put the nutrient rich water either back in the fit, or use it to water plants outside the system, and collect the solids for a worm farm

Members

Keith ,Can you explain exactly what 24 hrs of perk w/ air does ,I understand the settling and separation ,I 'm not sure what effect the air does unless its causes the separation to improve ,I understand the effect air has in bio conversion.Does it have an effect on PH as well in 24hrs? I also can see the solid removal if clogging is that pervasive.
    Thanks Carl ,BTW I'm formerly from Burton ,Ohio ex service mgr. marine ,many boats put in your area .

Members

it's my understanding that the oxygen moving the water does mineralize more solids, and the 02 is beneficial to the bacteria that break down solids

Members

Thanks Keith,thats the action along w/ circulation of my bio tank ,not having done the growing phase I ,was considering the easy options ,and was not worried about the solids yet with the worm population ,I do not know much about this subject yet ,and with the existing pond and it's excellent filteration this is the only point to get raw material that have only been screened ,through the sand and really not been altered in there make-up and since this is an on going weekly process ,peeked my interest and isolating it in the growing cycle seemed like a plausable idea to circumvent the need for fish in the system and illiminate other concerns of cycling and fish damage or comtaminating the pond in any way and be able to concentrate only on the effect on the plants ,the weekly additions of fresh fish matter ,over flowing week old
    solution while refreshing seemed do able ,My primitive understanding of the process is the plants ,the grow bed material along with the flood drain ,for oxygen are infact the bio filteration to counterbalance the fish waste to safe levels for the fish ,but allow a continious cycle to produce more waste ,w/o fish ,directly involved ,my thought was stronger amounts might be exceptable by the plants but now the fish ,So I thinking the real determiner is going to be PH which would dictate plants ,liking different levels ,I hope all that make so kind of sense ! Carl