OK first update since January:

System is currently plumbed, filled with hydroton and cycling. Decided to get a much larger pump if (when) I decide to scale up. I added 2 tsp of Clear Ammonia to kick start the bacteria. Have been testing for pH, Ammonia, and nitrites for 3 days now. pH is a bit high around 7.8 but it is fine for now until the plants come into the picture. Ammonia is right around 3.5ppm and nitrites haven't been seen yet.

I also started germinating my plants. I went simple with lettuce, spinach and basil. Should be another day or two until sprouting, at which point I will have to hope the system is ready for plants.

I will post pictures of the system so far when I get home but I have two questions for anyone with experience:

- Can anyone recommend a good set of grow lights? I'm thinking about going with LED for the energy savings but am hesitant about the cost/coverage. I was looking at these http://www.amazon.com/Power-Hydroponic- ... d_sbs_lg_6

- I also need a timer to operate the pump. Has anyone had a good experience with a particular mechanical version?

-J