Thread: Hello from NC

Hello from NC

Hello from NC, about 35 miles east of Charlotte NC. Trying to get started in Aquaponics this year and have something operational by spring. I have a small barrel system started using ammonia, been running a week or so now, so it's just a waiting game right now. Plan on setting up a small greenhouse with a two tote systems inside ASAP. Got the totes, just jot to put up the greenhouse, will probably be a small hoop house.

Members

Re: Hello from NC

welcome, and good luck..ask lots of questions, and get lots of different answers!

Members

Welcome! Remember that we like pictures!!
    Scott
    Jesup (S.E.), Georgia, USA

Members

Hey T,
    I'm in Rock Hill,SC just starting a system myself
    Don
    don't let the long hair fool ya, it's bright RED underneath

Hello, welcome to the forum...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Thanks everyone,
    I'll try to remember the pics, but it's not much to look at right now. It was a 55 gallon pickle barrel I had used for fathead minnows during Crappie fishing and re purposed it as a aquaponics start up tank. I'll probably stock the first tote I setup with Fathead minnows, there about $12 a pound off the fish supply trucks that come around starting in the spring. Fatheads are cheap to start with and I'll try to get some Tilapia later. From what I've read about in NC you have to get a permit to have them legally from NCWRC, if anybody knows more on this subject, let me know. I know they consider them invasive, but it gets way to cold for them to survive around here without shelter. I'll post more later, great to meet everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TMorgan
    Thanks everyone,
    I'll try to remember the pics, but it's not much to look at right now. It was a 55 gallon pickle barrel I had used for fathead minnows during Crappie fishing and re purposed it as a aquaponics start up tank. I'll probably stock the first tote I setup with Fathead minnows, there about $12 a pound off the fish supply trucks that come around starting in the spring. Fatheads are cheap to start with and I'll try to get some Tilapia later. From what I've read about in NC you have to get a permit to have them legally from NCWRC, if anybody knows more on this subject, let me know. I know they consider them invasive, but it gets way to cold for them to survive around here without shelter. I'll post more later, great to meet everyone.
    Wow! Sounds like fathead minnows are a good choice to raise if you are considering selling your fish! $12/pound for fatheads far exceeds the price per pound you could get for tilapia or catfish! Your plants won't care what type of fish provides them their nutrients. I am not familiar with fatheads, but perhaps they are more cold hardy and easier to raise than tilapia - considering your winter temps up there!

In any case, welcome to the forum!

Actually $12-14 a pound is what you can buy them for, that's around 300-400 1" +/- fathead minnows in bulk form. They are a cheap choice I think for starting an aquaponics system up, not a big loss if you have a problem and lose them. But I wouldn't recommend eating them, although Crappie around here seem to love them. Probably a lot more cold tolerate than Tilapia, but I eventually want to eat the Tilapia. Problem is I have to get a permit in NC to legally posses the Tilapia to raise/breed, it's free thank goodness, just more paperwork.

Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction!