Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BLUEGILL ?

Re: BLUEGILL ?

It could be a lot of things... but since they started dying in your short transit, it probably wasnt your fault and you should complain to the supplier. A good supplier should try to make this right with you

A lot of fish death causes like chlorine or ammonia poisoning will kill a few right away but the damage is done and others will die off over time...

brian

Members

Only lost 1 since Friday. Weird!
    Scott
    Jesup (S.E.), Georgia, USA

That is odd. I can see losing some to stress....but that many?

I did buy some bluegill awhile back. When I bought them, they packed them in a bag with pure oxygen. The drive was about 2 hours. None were dead on arrival. I did lose maybe a dozen or so during the next week. I wish I would of given them a salt bath when I got them to the farm...

Tilapia are a lot tougher...much easier to transport...in my opinion.
    I harvested about a dozen large tilapia and gave them to a friend of mine. I had packed them in ice and they were in the ice chest for about an hour and a half before he got them home. The one on the very top...the last one caught, was still alive.
    That was about a year ago and he's still swimming in my buddy's goldfish pond. His name is ...Methuselah ....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

I figured I'd lose some to stress. But when I got up the next morning, I was floored. Well, that vendor is off my approved list! We'll see how the few that made it work out. The gold fish I started with will just have to accept a reprieve for now.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl

Tilapia are a lot tougher...much easier to transport...in my opinion.
    I gotta agree with you here, David!

I had a buddy castnet about 30 four to six inch tilapia from his farm pond a year ago in June. He dumped them into three 10 gallon rubbermaid totes, drove them two hours in the open back of a pickup truck (with no aeration whatsoever), and we unceremoniously dumped them without acclimation into an old 150 gallon aerator tank here at the house. The tank did have some filtration and a lot of aeration, but it was filled with my nasty well water which comes out of the well with about 4ppm ammonia in it. Despite less than ideal handling, high ammonia (and later sky high nitrites) all 30 of them survived!

After my catastrophic system collapse some 10 months later Aquaponic Armageddon!, my wife and I spent a good 30 minutes searching through mud puddles dumping rescued tilapia into buckets and transporting them back to my good ole backup aerator tank. I did lose a half dozen or so fish then, but I think they died from getting squashed by the growbed and fish tank collapse rather than just being out of water. (They tasted yummy after being filleted and broiled by the way).

The 24 that survived transport and system collapse are the two-plus pound old curmudgeons currently residing amongst the 100 or so tilapia in my latest system. They are some tough old critters indeed!

Not to derail your point, but the rubbermaid totes in the moving truck is very good aeration.

Quote Originally Posted by bcotton
    Not to derail your point, but the rubbermaid totes in the moving truck is very good aeration.
    Good point!

But there were at least 10 fish in each tote, and though only an ounce or two each, the 10 gallon totes only had maybe 5 gallons in them (lids on) and it was a hot day here in south Florida so I'm certain the DO level was low enough to stress the fish. Still, they managed to survive.

Members

I was gone for a week and expected the worst. I can report that no fish were lost! I'm really confused now.
    Scott

wow, that is odd...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Hey, just a thought, most times you order fish you will get extra because its common to have some die in transit or in the next few hours after receiving. Of course they may not have had enough oxygen, they may have gotten ammonia poisoning but what also might have happened is PH shock. Not saying that your ph was wrong or that even theirs was wrong, there is a range that can work, but the difference between the two might have been too much for some to handle plus all the other stress. before ordering fish you should always find out what PH their fish are at, so that then can be acclimated to your ph or if you have no fish yet, you can change your ph to match.