Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BLUEGILL ?

Members

Re: BLUEGILL ?

Bluegill are good for eating. Yes it takes a couple of years for them grow to a good eating size. The like worms, minnows, and bread. Everything I have read reveals they do very well in an aquaponics system.
    Larry

Re: BLUEGILL ?

The only problem with bluegill is the amount of meat per fish is very limited so you need to raise a lot of fish.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

When I finally set up a large system in a few years I plan to do a mix of bluegill, koi, and goldfish. I am the only person in my family that eats fish. Should make nitrates easier to manage having a more constant supply. Just goldfish in my 150 gallon tank for now....

First post for me BTW!

I caught some wild palm sized bluegill a few years ago and threw them in a tank. They immediately took to fish feed pellets and put on some weight pretty good for the 6 months they were in there. These fish are great for the home producer who does not want to heat their water during the winter. The will reproduce in the tank pretty well from what I hear. I plan to have a much larger system in a few years and start it out with koi/goldfish. then once the fish get large enough to fend for themselves... I will add a lot of bluegill. I am the only person in my family who eats fish. So I will go catch one from time to time. Having a simple/single large tank with a constant supply of poo and nitrates will make managing the system super simple. Having all omnivorous fish will as well.

Marty