Thread: Food Taste

Members

Food Taste

I am amazed that with all the thousands of posts no one has mentioned anything about the taste of aquaponic food. Does it taste any better or different than what is labeled as USDA organic? Does it provide better nutrition for better health? Do people feel more energy? What else can anyone add to this subject? Has anyone noticed less aches and pains, or rashes healing, or anything healing for that matter.

Re: Food Taste

My aquaponics food has way more flavor than storebought food. My peppers are much more flavorful and even hotter. I am not sure it's any more flavorful than traditional garden grown food. It's probably more about the freshness than the method.

USDA organic is a commercial term and i am not even sure i know what it means... i'll leave any further comments on that for the sump.

Generally speaking you cant use pestacides because it will hurt the fish and I know what i feed the fish, i know where the water comes from and know i dont use hormones or antibiotics. I know where the food comes from.

I have not yet seen any nutritional informational comparison of aquaponics or store bought vegetables. But that doesnt mean they dont exist. I am skeptical of agendas when i read "scientific" research, just circle back about the part where i feel it's better because i know what i put in it.

I eat the food i grow but it is not even close to a majority of my food intake right now so no info on the last question either.

brian

Members

Hey brian thx for that. Wow, and the peppers are even hotter, that's encouraging. I also plan on starting all my food with organic Heritage seeds from organicaseed.com

Members

I agree about the hotter peppers. my habaneros are insanely hot.
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by alex281
    I always recommend datil peppers. They are about the heat of a habanero, but they taste like candy (not really, but compared to a habanero or even worse a ghost pepper). They are smaller and ripen to a yellowish-orange. As far as hot peppers go (habanero and hotter, the weaker ones are good for the ladies), the datil is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by bcotton
    I have not yet seen any nutritional informational comparison of aquaponics or store bought vegetables. But that doesnt mean they dont exist. I am skeptical of agendas when i read "scientific" research, just circle back about the part where i feel it's better because i know what i put in it.
    What kind of comparison are you looking for? From what doctors and nutritionists have told me and what little published research on the topic I have perused, the concept is straightforward. The longer the food has to stay on a shelf or a truck, the less nutrition it will have. For example, vitamin C decomposes very quickly after the food is stored. A lot of complex things occur; so, the details are not straightforward, but the idea is just that. Once the food is in storage or transport it has begun to DECOMPOSE.

Bottom line, picking food fresh and eating it immediately will ALWAYS have more nutrition that store bought food that has been DECOMPOSING for a few days to a few weeks (yes some foods don't even get into the states for a week or so then travel time to the grocer).

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I like the way you're thinking about it though!

Members

urbanfarmer, your two cents is more like gold, it just sunk in, FRESHNESS. Of course, that makes all the sense in the world. I had never given a thought to shelf time before. I was thinking more along the lines about all the years that I've been reading about how the soil is depleted of nutrients, and the food is not the food your grandfather ate. Just a thought though, if the soil was perfect and the plants get everything they need, I am wondering if fish waste has all the same things, or if it is different but still healthy for the plants, in other words, just a different food for the plants. Now, when the plant is in soil, it gets minerals, and we add manure. So, is fish waste just manure or are there minerals in it. I mean, you can't grow food in just manure. Right? Or perhaps the water itself supplies the minerals. Hey I just realized that the pan I keep on my wood stove has mineral deposits around the edge. Perhaps they are food grade. The deposits on my pan break off, so maybe they ought to be added to my future system right after the bio filter, all ground up into a powder. Ok, maybe I'm going to far here, but who knows?

Members

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by alex281
    I always recommend datil peppers. They are about the heat of a habanero, but they taste like candy (not really, but compared to a habanero or even worse a ghost pepper). They are smaller and ripen to a yellowish-orange. As far as hot peppers go (habanero and hotter, the weaker ones are good for the ladies), the datil is the best!
    Thanks for the heads up! when i bought my ghost peppers and trinidads off ebay i also got see free nagabons. i grew them outside in dirt, the heat was surprisingly less than my ap habaneros ( according to scoville ratings the naga should be twice as hot) but they tasted absolutely amazing.
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^