Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floating Rafts

Members

Floating Rafts

I plan on growing one plant of everything for starters, just to get the feel of aquaponics. So I need to know if floating rafts are an option, or are they necessary for some plants, and if so, which ones.

Re: Floating Rafts

floating rafts are not necessary for any plant to grow in aquaponics. Some plants specifically may not be great options for rafts. Specifically tall ones than need substrate for stability.

brian

Members

brian, then why would anyone use rafts? And I don't get it, I thought you want the water to drain so the roots get air, so whats the advantage with rafts?

bill

Members

Rafts are good for short leafy greens to my knowledge. Lettuce is popular in raft systems.

aquahealth,

rafts are one of many ways to practice aquaponics. There's tradeoffs to them all and different people tend to prefer different styles.

To me, rafts are more of a commercial tool because of the cost of deep water raft systems compared to grow bed full of media and it's easy to manage large amounts of uniform crops. An acre of 2' deep gravel would be pretty cost prohibitive.

For backyard systems i prefer gravel (expanded shale) grow beds for the extra filtration and surface area. I dont use filtering systems because i am trying to reuse all of the waste and I care more about balance than the initial cost or return on investment. I do sometimes use raft grow beds, i just put them after the gravel grow beds. In gravel, I havent had good luck with root crops like carrots, or patatos. I havent tried them in raft systems.

yes, greens seem to do really good in rafts.

brian

Members

From my understanding, root crops only work well in Aeroponic setups since the root crops hang in air and are misted periodically with nute solution. The problem with root crops and hydroponics is that extended soaking in nute solution can cause crop rot even in highly oxygenated environments, Roots can survive that environment but storage roots will rot.

Hi Island_Dan, welcome to the forum...

I'm trying root crops in grow bags, in a wicking set up. The bags have potting mix, and they sit in troughs with AP water slowly flowing through. You can see some pictures here...
    New work @ Sahib Aquaponics

This is the 1st we are trying them. I hope they store well.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by aquahealth
    brian, then why would anyone use rafts? And I don't get it, I thought you want the water to drain so the roots get air, so whats the advantage with rafts?
    bill
    Large raft systems have added air to the beds.
    Friendlys in HI (commercial raft AP farm) have slowed the flow of water going through the troughs, and have added extra air. They claim they are using less electric doing this, and still getting good results.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Island_Dan
    From my understanding, root crops only work well in Aeroponic setups since the root crops hang in air and are misted periodically with nute solution. The problem with root crops and hydroponics is that extended soaking in nute solution can cause crop rot even in highly oxygenated environments, Roots can survive that environment but storage roots will rot.
    My experience with aquaponics is that root crops do just fine in flood and drain systems - though not with floating rafts. I have had success growing carrots and radishes (like this 3/4 pound one) in my flood and drain beds.

(It might be the UGLIEST radish in the history of the universe, but I've never seen one bigger!)

looks beautiful to me.

brian