Keith, water flowing in channels? Holy cow that sounds horrible mate. But, here is what I did. First of all, my basement used to be damp and smelly. I replaced a small window with plywood, cut out a round hole, and installed a six inch fan that is mounted in a cylinder shaped piece of ductwork, from Home Depot. Actually it is supposed to be used to draw heat from a heating system in to a room that is to cool. Anyway, I attached a six inch flexible hose to it and let it hang down to the floor, about four inches off the floor. So it sucks air from the floor and prevents humidity from building up. Usually hot summer air hits cold basement walls, and when it reaches the dew point there is dampness. But this system changes the air in my basement two times an hour, so humidity never has a chance to build up. Believe it or not, after 30 years of using a dehumidifyer, high electric bills, and emptying pans of water twice a day, and suffering with the smell, within one hour the smell was gone, no more pans of water, no maintenance, quiet, and it runs 24/7/365, and uses maybe $10 a year of electric, if that. The motor is the same one they used in the old record players, and the air passes over the motor keeping it cool. The basement is now a beautiful place to be. One quarter is for storage, one quarter for exercise equipment, and one half for jogging, rc car race track, and airport for my electric rc helicopters. Instead of using a window a hole can be put in the wall. But the trick is to draw the air from the floor, and then displacement draws air from every square inch of the floor, which draws air down all the walls. This also takes care of any radon. It is now so comfortable down there that it is my favorite place, my man cave. Been running it for five years non stop now and I still can't get over how thrilled I am about it. And, it actually smells nice, you know, fresh. So I can't see why it wouldn't help if an ap system was in your basement.