Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Help with connecting pump from sump to tank

I am trying to connect my pump which is in my sump to my main fish tank, and I have no Idea how to purchase tubing or what to do...I really want to get through this step...can anybody help...thank you. I have a eco plus pump if that helps.

Re: Help with connecting pump from sump to tank

Hi nickjacob, Depending on which model you have (?), it may have threads at the discharge of the pump, or it's just smooth.

If it's threaded, you can run pvc. You would need a 'female adapter' to go on the pump.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051

If it's smooth, tubing will slip onto it. The tube 'could be' run to your grow bed, Or you can swithch over to pvc. To do that, you'll need a 'barb adapter'. The adapter slips intothe tube and screws into a female adapter.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051

As far as what size tube or pvc...? The box should state the size of the discharge , or measure it, or just carry the pump to HD, lowes, ace, ect and do a test fit.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

The Eco Plus 396 has a female thread. So you need to get this:

Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UM-EA3cWnSU
    1/2 in. PVC Schedule 40 Pressure MIPT x Slip Male Adapter
    Model # 436-005HC Store SKU # 188123 Cost $.46

Then you get 1/2" PVC Pipe (I would recommend the skinnier one. This pump really pushes a good amount of water for 1/2" thread to give it an easier time to be pumped vertically I think. The pipe comes in 10' sections but if you ask the plumbing guy to cut it in half to fit in your car they will do it gladly. I carry a pipe cutter in my truck and trim off a foot because mine almost fits the whole pipe but just not quite lol.

I used the blue solvent for my fittings. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...EA3cWnSU<br />

Members

Quote Originally Posted by NeverResting
    ...snip...snip...
    I used the blue solvent for my fittings. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...EA3cWnSU<br />
    I don't use the solvent unless the fittings leak. Easier to re-plumb if I need to. Just make sure that the fittings are completely seated.
    Scott
    Jesup (S.E.), Georgia, USA

Members

That's true.. With 1/2" I only solvent before my valve. That way if I close the valve it doesn't push it off. After the valve I use press in on 1/2". With 1" on my bigger pump I noticed leaks in a lot of places so I solvent welded those but if it's already over the water I usually don't as I don't care if it drips a little.

You'll eventually want to be able to pull the pump out of the sump, to maintain it.

The eco pumps come with different fitting and sizes, for the discharge side of the pump.

If you use one of the barb fittings, you can run a section of hose from the pump, to just outside the sump. Then you can run pvc after that.

If you run pvc all the way, just add a pvc union, some where just outside the sump. Have it located where it's easy for you to get to. They un-screw by hand.

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pipes ... reId=10051
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Thank you so much guys I really needed some help and there aren't many that I know that like this stuff! One more question....IT is concerning the health issues. I am planning to line a wooded outline with vinyl tarping from billboardtarps.com for my growbed. Is Vinyl tarping bad for me or my fish? Thank you!!
    Nicko

Quote Originally Posted by nickjacob
    Is Vinyl tarping bad for me or my fish? Thank you!!
    Lots of folks use the liner, especially for troughs for raft systems.
    Brand new Dura skrim is considered food grade. Friendly aquaponics in HI has an organic rating, and they use it.

Pvc is considered 'safe' too. But you'll see debates on that issue, on any aquaponics forum you go on. Same with vinyl.

You didn't say...guessing your buying 'used' billboard vinyl ?
    I bought some used billboard material. I don't know if I used the same folks your talking about...? My liner came pretty quick, and I didn't check it out right away. I was too busy building my system...
    The billboard vinyl had been in the sun for a long time. It was starting to break down and I could see some holes in it. I ended up using it as an underlayment.

I suggest, you call billboardtarps.com and talk to someone. Find out about their return policy. Let them know what your using it for. That you expect it to actually hold water.

You may want to check out new liner too. Search for 'dura skrim'. The billboard stuff is 20 mill. It's very tuff.
    I bought some 6 mil skrim for a special project. I wouldn't go that thin for what your doing. I'd consider using 12 mil, but I'd still recommend the 20.
    Call around....check the prices and especially the shipping costs.
    Ask about any remnants too. My buddy got some deals doing that..

Quote Originally Posted by nickjacob
    Thank you so much guys I really needed some help and there aren't many that I know that like this stuff! One more question....IT is concerning the health issues. I am planning to line a wooded outline with vinyl tarping from billboardtarps.com for my growbed. Is Vinyl tarping bad for me or my fish? Thank you!!
    Nicko
    Use at your own risk unless you can verify with the manufacturer. It may be perfectly safe, but I doubt anyone knows for sure.

EPDM liner made for ponds is safe for our purposes. There's cheaper plastic liners that are thinner and are typically warrantied for 5 years. I had about a thousand something gallon pond with a cheaper liner and the liner outlasted the pond (had it about 2 years).

Members

Is the Dura Skrim Liner safe? I really just want a safe system that will keep my fish and plants safe. I have heard rumors of EDMP and HDPE liners and I don't know what to get to line my grow bed. My grow bed needs to be 1 ft wide by 1 foot deep by 8 ft long. Does anybody have any ideas besides wood and liner that I could get these dimensions from that is chemically safe? Thank you
    Nick