Quote Originally Posted by nickjacob
Is Vinyl tarping bad for me or my fish? Thank you!!
Lots of folks use the liner, especially for troughs for raft systems.
Brand new Dura skrim is considered food grade. Friendly aquaponics in HI has an organic rating, and they use it.

Pvc is considered 'safe' too. But you'll see debates on that issue, on any aquaponics forum you go on. Same with vinyl.

You didn't say...guessing your buying 'used' billboard vinyl ?
I bought some used billboard material. I don't know if I used the same folks your talking about...? My liner came pretty quick, and I didn't check it out right away. I was too busy building my system...
The billboard vinyl had been in the sun for a long time. It was starting to break down and I could see some holes in it. I ended up using it as an underlayment.

I suggest, you call billboardtarps.com and talk to someone. Find out about their return policy. Let them know what your using it for. That you expect it to actually hold water.

You may want to check out new liner too. Search for 'dura skrim'. The billboard stuff is 20 mill. It's very tuff.
I bought some 6 mil skrim for a special project. I wouldn't go that thin for what your doing. I'd consider using 12 mil, but I'd still recommend the 20.
Call around....check the prices and especially the shipping costs.
Ask about any remnants too. My buddy got some deals doing that..