Thread: Hello From Iowa

Hello From Iowa

First post to this forum, but I think I'm getting close to having read almost every post on this board. I'm just starting out with this aquaponics thing but I have been gardening for a few years. I continued some of my gardening indoors this fall (lettuce, spinach, herbs) and when I was researching for that I stumbled onto the concept of AP. Looks like an awesome concept to me and I'm looking forward to the challenges, and the rewards.

My goals at this point are to raise some green edibles during our cold winters, get plants started for the outdoor garden, and maybe raise some tasty fishies. I'd like to do this with fish native to our area. Initially I was thinking of setting up a system in the family room based on a 55-100 gallon fish aquarium. Now I'm kind of leaning towards a 100 gallon stock tank system in the basement or an IBC system out in my shop. The basement would be a consistent environment year around but I have less space there and I'd have to keep it "nicer" to keep SWMBO happy

My shop is a crowded 3150 sq-ft and it would be nice to have it out there but I only heat it to 45-50 degrees in the winter, except when I'm out there. It also gets hot during the summer (no A/C). Maybe I could make it work with proper fish and plant selection though.

I've been studying all I can and am registered for an AP class at the local college this weekend. Hopefully I'll decide on a direction and get started soon. This looks like a great place to hang out and I look forward to sharing what I'm doing and looking for advice from those who have been there, done that.
    Just blessed to be here.
    Terry

Re: Hello From Iowa

Hi Terry, welcome to the fun...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction!

Members

Can you tell me what AP class it is? I am in Eastern Iowa, so I know that there may not be something here, but I can drive to find one too. I know that every place says start small, and I plan to, but how small? I don't want glass fish tanks sitting around here that I won't continue to use. I want something that can eventually be used as a 'test plot'. I also don't like the rocky grow beds and plan to redo that part of the system. I think I just need to start and see where it goes. Good luck! Anyone know how many commercial aquaponics systems are in Iowa and the US? I wish there was a state by state set of numbers somewhere. Thanks!

Hi Newbi6 ...welcome to the forum...
    I agree, don't go too small....The smaller the system, the harder it is to keep it balanced.
    I've been doing larger systems for awhile. I don't think I could keep a really small system. Where did I put that test kit ?....

I'd try to have at least a hundred gallons, for a starter system.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

That is kind of what I was thinking to start. I have heard a lot about how important a test kit is. Luckily I have minimal experience with doing our pool and house fish tank and minimal experience with a ph meter working on a commercial food scale. Is it true that there is a meter that is digital and has all the readings (ph, do, nitrates, nitrites, etc) all together? Is this the best way to go?

Did you do the fishless cycle? How long from the day you put water in until the system is stable for fish? What comes first the fish or the plants. I had originally thought I would set up a hydroponics system and get it stable and then just add the fish. Good or bad idea? Thank you for the help!

Newbi6, If you'll start your own post in "A place to say hello", you'll have more folks meeting you and comenting on your questions...

Meanwhile, you can check out some meters here....
    http://search.aquaticeco.com/index?D=te ... est+meters