Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Members

Re: So I'm going to be an uncle!!!

Hey Brian,

Your post taught me something. My PVC holes are on the outer edges of the tank so there's no breaks of territory. I think ill make a more divided tank setup for them. I'll move the pipes into the center more. I still don't have a flower pot in there because I didn't have on hand but I have 4 inch drain Y and T adapters in there.

I am actually going to fill out the form today. I found it on the Florida website a couple weeks ago. I do want to be legal in all my ventures. My fish are at my warehouse which is a business location so I'm sure it'll be easy for a permit to be issued for the sale and also the conditional exotic species permit. I do it in my warehouse because I just had room and figured why not use it for fish and growing veggies

If things progress properly I might convert the entire warehouse to a commercial aquaponics establishment but that's far in the future if at all.

Members

[youtube:5g0u1mai]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoFvbJyOz8g[/youtube:5g0u1mai]

The 2nd collected batch that had tails are mostly free swimming today but I'm still leaving them in the incubator on low overnight.

[youtube:5g0u1mai]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv8BxWPyD3I[/youtube:5g0u1mai]

These were harvested on 12/05/12 also as eggs, tails appeared 12/06/12, and today they are barely swimming. This is batch #1 that had 480 eggs.

Those incubators are not low maintenance in my tank since my water quality sucks. I needed to remove the fry/eggs and clean the screens today on the incubators that ran for 48hrs already. I will be redesigning the incubators or at least their placement soon. My big 90 gallon tank has poor solids removal. I need to redesign the pickups lower.

I'm also working on getting a row of 5 20 gallon tanks setup this weekend. I'm going to drill them all and install bulkheads. They will be in a line with 4 holding tanks and 1 sump tank. I siliconed the tank today arcylic plastic clear dividers from Home Depot today. That filter will have a drop for the solids, a polyester fiber portion for smaller solids removal, and a SeaChem Matrix section for maximing biological area. The 4 20 gallon tanks will have 1" bulkheads which will gravity feed the sump tank. I'll start the fry that are free swimming from batch 2 in a 10 gallon tank tomorrow. I have fresh brine shrimp hatching every 2 days at my shop and I also have a 5lb bag of Aquamax fry powder en route. In a couple days I'll transfer the fry to the 1st 20 gallon tank once the setup is complete. My 1st bigger batch should be free swimming in 3-4 days so it'll be a perfect time to put them in a 20 gallon tank when it's done.

Members

[youtube:3mckc8fw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTBnIqBX3-Y[/youtube:3mckc8fw]

Got a new video up. I transferred the fry that were free swimming to a 10 gallon. They still had small yolk sacs but I gave them some brine shrimp. They didn't eat it but about 5 hours later when I was leaving I fed them again and they ate. I came back tonight to see how they are all doing and they were all on the bottom with big bellies lol. I think they are heavy from eating the shrimp and couldn't swim easily. I might be wrong, but they were all at the bottom of the tank.

I made a new incubator today that's the mcdonald jar version. It's a 2L soda bottle with a tube going to the bottom gently flowing on the eggs. I found that I had the best movement, moving it to the side a little that's why it looks off. In the center eggs were going down to the bottom where the bottle's neck is and I didn't like that. Having the flow directed a bit to the side kept the eggs all gently out of the bottle neck. I'm sure revisions will come.

The reason I made the new incubator is because I came in today and batch #1 with 480 harvested eggs had about 80% dead today. The screens were clogged with dead fish. So I don't know if the bubbler was too high and killed them or what. The new system is delicate and can't get clogged so the flow will always be consistent.

Ammonia and Nitrite levels are doing well with ammonia at .5ppm and nitrite dropping to 2-3ppm from 5+ a week ago. The problem I'm having is a water clarity issue. So I'm going to build a 55 gallon sand filter next week. I hope that will help scrub the water a little.

I started a new batch of lettuce in addition to this one. I still need to transplant this one but I haven't hung the lights back up. I have so much to do and so little time!

They looks good. I have never had significant issue with the screen clogging but my hatch tanks are not a part of my bigger system. I usually need to clean the screens between batches. I am surprised they are big enough to eat brine shrimp but that all sounds good. I usually just crush up normal feed and i drop in an algae wafer from time to time.

Are you adding the sand filter because you dont have room for more grow beds?

brian

Members

Hey Brian,

I don't have any media grow beds just the DWC which currently the lights are dismantled. That's probably my problem. I haven't added a sand filter. I decided to add a swirl filter instead. I haven't been at the warehouse today so I'm curious if it's collected a bunch of waste since I installed it yesterday. I need to get my grow lights setup again. I raised my grow bed last week and had to take the hangers down. My poor lettuce has been indoor with minimal skylights for 5-6 days now.

Members

I gathered eggs from two females again. Can someone tell me if the different colors of eggs is normal? One female had one color and the other had another color egg.

Thanks everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121217_213406.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	3767  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes,

eggs are typically more white at first and then turn brown as they age... if they dont turn brown they are probably dead.

It's unusual for eggs from the same female being at different stages of development so all of the eggs from one female should be the same color.. you said that you collected eggs from two fish so looks good.

brian.

brian