Members

How much $ should I spend in my new Project!

Hello guys I'm new into Aquaponics and I'm thinking into doing and Home small aquarium Im not sure exactly what I want to buy since I am new in this, but I would like to know around how much money Im going to have to spend in this? I read some stuff about the financial aspect of aquaponics [...] but I would like to know some of your personal opinion thanks
    edited by admin...no hyperlinks to other websites in signature allowed

Re: How much $ should I spend in my new Project!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea
    Hello guys I'm new into Aquaponics and I'm thinking into doing and Home small aquarium Im not sure exactly what I want to buy since I am new in this, but I would like to know around how much money Im going to have to spend in this? I read some stuff about the financial aspect of aquaponics edited by admin...no hyperlinks to other websites allowed but I would like to know some of your personal opinion thanks
    Welcome to the forum!

Your question is impossible to answer as posed, Andrea. Any answer would depend on how big, how fancy and how far you want to go with the hobby and how much you are able to build, borrow or scrounge versus what you have to buy.

Members

i've been building my ap system for 3 years.. start looking for IBC totes, or blue barrels for growbeds/fishtanks.. used stuff can save some money..but keep in mind, lots of small growbeds means more plumbing=more money on PVC pipe..
    i wouldn't skimp on the water pump or air pumps

I have around $1500 - $2000 invested in my @ 800 gallon ap system. I figure, with all the organic raised food, tilapia and veggies, I should have returned my money within two growing years. You can see some of my design and setup here @ Lordshandyman Aquaponics System v2. or view my post here @ Help, I caught the aquaponics bug...

As for your question about how much to spend, your wallet is the limit...
    Trust God, after all, only He knows what He is doing.

Random Thoughts: There is some truth in every newspaper and magazine, you just need to know where to look....
    For instance: The name, price, date, and page numbers are usually always true!

Members

That's a tough question to answer but the good part is that it can easily be done on a small scale and expanded as your budget fits.

I started mine for a little over a $200 at first. However that figure does not include the cost of artificial lighting (my system is indoors).

There's various ways you can build the beds, fish stocking tanks, filters.

Also used equipment can be purchased fairly cheap. I recently picked up a 90 gallon pre-drilled aquarium and 10 gallon fish tank for $60 off someone craigslist. It's going to be my breeder tank and I used the 10 gallon as a sump filter.

As Keith said IBC totes are a good way to start. The give a good amount of space for your fish and provide 1 grow bed if you cut the top of them off. It's a popular setup. I found IBCs around $175-200 a piece around me.

How much $ should I spend in my new Project
    All of it.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    How much $ should I spend in my new Project
    All of it.

If you win the power ball, then ask this question...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan