Members

heating the water or air

I've got some bluegill inside a 10x16 shed and I think it would do me well to heat the shed if for no other reason than to keep my nitrifiers happy. My question is which is more efficient, heating the air or water?
    If its the water, has anyone found the best solution to do so?

I would like to eventually get some tilapia to play with but I would need to know what sort of cost per month I'd be looking at before I commit to future ideas. The plants are currently in the shed as well but I'm attaching a somewhat midsize greenhouse to it so I can setup some 4x30 troughs for a floating raft scenario. The GH will more than likely only be online for about 7-8 months out of the year, just so you know. I don't currently intend on paying to heat the GH, I'll be doing some experiments with passive solar ideas firstly and see where that leads me.

Thanks for any tips

Re: heating the water or air

my best guess is it will be more efficient to heat the water. Water is a better conductor and more energy should go into the water as opposed to the walls and floor.

Maybe you can work out a way to heat the water in the greenhouse using the sun? There's some good threads on heating water badflash's bucket heater seems the most cost effective to me.

Tank Heaters?
    My 700 gallon basement system

Also since this is an outdoor shed/greenhouse maybe you can consider heating with a compost pile?

brian

There is no question about, it is more efficient to heat water directly per unit energy. You will lose efficiency when heating the air in hopes it heats the water.

In case anyone is looking....this link should take you to the controller...
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/john ... oller.html

I bought a 1000 watt bucket heater from tractor supply a few years ago.
    None to be found in FL...my local TSC had to have one shipped in from Ohio....
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/allied-pre ... -w-2170534
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Thanks folks. I ended up getting a few more 4' flouro's and its been keeping the temp nicely. Almost too nice because I also grow hydro fodder for the chickens in this shed and mold becomes an issue at temps above 70.
    I think if I were to insulate the bottom of the shed with some sort of skirting or even better some 3" insulation panels, I could probably stay above 60deg F with outside temps in the teens.

david, what scenario are or were you using that heater? We actually have some winter weather up here so I don't know that it would be sufficient.

A few winters ago, we had a week of very cold weather. At night it was below 32. Durring the day,it was in the 40's.
    I had the heater in a 500 gallon tank. The sides were wood with 3/4 inch styro between the liner and wooden sides. At night I covered the top of the tank with a quilt.

I didn't have the water pump on at night.

I didn't have a digital controller for the heater. I used a heavey duty timmer fro HD. If I remember... I had it 'on' for 15 mins and off for a half hour. I did check the water temp for a few nights night and adjusted the timer till I was happy.

My goal was to keep the water at least in the high 50'/low 60's.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan