I am leaning toward a hybrid system my first year. Aquatic plants in the pond itself, probably on a waterproof shelf to give the fish a "cave" they can go in. I know cattails, pond lilies and duckweek can grow that way, either in pots in the water or on the surface of the water itself.

I am thinking part of my growing area would be 2 or 4 inch diameter pipe with drilled holes that would be constant flow. I've read about lettuce being grown well in floating mats. I have also seen pictures of strawberries grown in pipe with waterfalls of beautiful berries hanging down either side below the level of the pipe. Would most leafy vegetables grow well in a continuous flow pipe filled with growing medium? Would fruiting vines do well, grown high and allowed to cascade down or low and given trellis support to grow up? Nightshades such as tomatoes, peppers and eggplant, cucumbers, melons, and squash?

I have been reading that root crops, such as carrots, benefit most from ebb and flow. Are there others, for whatever reason, that do better in ebb and flow than in continuous flow?