Members

Anyone grown chia?

I've gotten on a bit of a health kick lately. Started working out, eating better, etc. Eating chia seeds (of the Salba variety) is a bit of a fad here in the US. They have a high concentration of omega-3 oils and are high in protein. They are used in shakes and eaten raw... I was thinking of maybe growing my own. I have a river gravel grow bed under fluorescent lights. I figure the light is enough, since I've grown more intensive plants like peppers. But has anyone tried growing chia in an AP environment? Not sure if they'll do well if I seed into the bed, since the seeds get a gelatinous coating when wet... anyway, just wanted to know if anyone has tried?
    NO URLs ALLOWED

Sequioa Red Worms -- for all your worm and vermicompost needs!

Re: Anyone grown chia?

i grew an Obama chia head four years ago and threw some of the seeds in a bed. they did not spout. i also tried wheat grass and it didn't work out all that well either but it could have been old seeds too.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

never done chia but based on other plants in the family i would expect chia to do well in aquaponics. Did try wheat grass and it went nuts. Did very good.

brian

"STUCCO....AN OBAMA HEAD..?"....REALLY..? AND YOU'RE SURPRISED THE SEEDS FROM HIS HEAD DIDN'T PRODUCE ANYTHING... WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED....!
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

I have grown chia in soil. It has a very long growing season (at least the variety that I had). My crop did not mature before the first frost. When I get the greenhouse and AP running I will probably try it again. With the AP and the extended growing season of the greenhouse, I should be able to harvest some seeds.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.