Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: Cindy's IBC System

OK tank inside greenhouse, leveled the best we could on a dirt floor, and media being added. After media added it was hosed again and allowed to fill GB for a final rince. You can see the water is dirty and makes me wonder why I wasted time trying to wash it by the bucket full. I put garden hose on bottom drain and emptied the FT to some trees outside the greenhouse.

The pump is just a little yard pond pump. I have 2 of them and the one ran 24/7 for about a yr. before I unplugged to get this system set up. There is a stand pipe in GB that provides 2 inches of top dry media. I am running this as a constant flood for right now. Not only is it the line of least resistance (easiest) I don't have the confidence yet to get into bell, or aftan syphons. Right now I just want to get a system up and functional and productive, then I will start to experiment with another setup when I have the greenhouse pretty much to myself.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by utahgal
    OK tank inside greenhouse, leveled the best we could on a dirt floor, and media being added. After media added it was hosed again and allowed to fill GB for a final rince. You can see the water is dirty and makes me wonder why I wasted time trying to wash it by the bucket full. I put garden hose on bottom drain and emptied the FT to some trees outside the greenhouse.

The pump is just a little yard pond pump. I have 2 of them and the one ran 24/7 for about a yr. before I unplugged to get this system set up. There is a stand pipe in GB that provides 2 inches of top dry media. I am running this as a constant flood for right now. Not only is it the line of least resistance (easiest) I don't have the confidence yet to get into bell, or aftan syphons. Right now I just want to get a system up and functional and productive, then I will start to experiment with another setup when I have the greenhouse pretty much to myself.

All you need for that siphon now is get a pipe thats bigger, drill holes on the bottom and put an end cap on it and your siphon will be complete. if you want productiveness that will definitely be the thing you want to take care of first. its easier than you think. i didnt have to do much to make mine run on a 10 minute fill and 5 minute drain cycle. The system looks great!
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Members

When I first got the system put together and filled, I got a coating of algae on the sides. This was before fish or plants. Hence the shade cloth and foamboard insulation.

After that problem was taken care of, I started figuring out how to use the second pump that was just circulating water back into the FT for more DO. Here is what I came up with. (temporary only)

(Photobucket put a new editor in place and I am having a hard time getting these pics the right size or to even change size, sorry. Not sure if its me or the new editor.)

The second pump is feeding the left end and the right end is running back into the FT to supply DO. The fish seem happy, but they seem to be playing in the 2 overflow areas. I'm afraid they may not have enough DO. They aren't staying at the top gasping though.

Tomorrow I will post a picture of an idea I had today. Me, who was standing behind the door, in the wrong room when imaginations were handed out. When I post, I would like some comments or suggestions on the thought.

Cindy

Members

This was just an idea that hasn't been all thought thru yet, but it would give me just a little more area. Need to find a better way to attach but like I said, an idea still on the drawing board. Any and all suggestions/ideas welcome.

The end cap will go on, the tube on the front could be turned around, the pump could supply from the back side of the new tube and drain into the old one with lettuce starts and then back into the FT.

Ideas?????????