My name is Dave and I'm setting up a small commercial system; the first "phase" is probably about as small as you can go and be considered "commercial" (or I supposed viable).

We'll have yellow perch and floating rafts for vegetables... with programmable feeders, backup power, redundant pumps, text alerts, etc. I would like to be able to spawn our own fish but that will probably come much later; when we have the bugs worked out of the other systems.

We've found a nice little niche for our products and we have pretty low overhead since we already have the property and power is fairly cheap here. Hopefully our cost and production estimates are close.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but our system is already designed and a good portion of it is built; so we're not going to make any major changes now unless something proves unworkable. A lot of things we're doing wouldn't make sense for someone with a backyard size system but hopefully we've found a balance that will result in a stable system in the end.

Anyway, thanks for hosting such a helpful & civil forum!