Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My cabin....

Members

My cabin....

So...don't laugh...but I live in a 4 room cabin....and I plan on keeping several fish here....How...crazy space management.

I use alot of "...." when I write...get used to it

So..here it is...my setup....

I currently have "GloFish" in a 50 gallon tank....I'm working on getting the proper paperwork so I can legally have tilapia
    So, With the tank I have a 200Watt heater, a Fluval 405 rated for a 100 gallon tank, a 3' air bar, live plants for aesthetics...

I've been a firm believer in "plants and fish" for years. Never occurred to me to grow fish I could eat...and plants I could eat...this is awesome!...so...Upon learning about Tilapia and aquaculture, I decided to change around a few things...I'm ditching the glofish...they don't even glow!...and I'm picking up a supermale set...Now...the set comes with a breeding set of "regular" fish...so...need another tank...no problem!....craigslist....monday I'm picking up a 40 gallon with stand, filter, additional fluval filter, light, food...everything...for $60

I forsee this becoming an episode of "Horders"....

Re: My cabin....

Quote Originally Posted by MurCurY
    So...don't laugh...but I live in a 4 room cabin
    Now a days...that's no laughing matter. Lot's of folk's wish they had a place to live..

Gald to hear you've figured out a way to make room for AP...
    Pictures....don't forget pictures... :P
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

almost forgot![attachment=0:1e7ue0q9]2011-09-24_14-29-22_656.jpg[/attachment:1e7ue0q9]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-09-24_14-29-22_656.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	3155  
    Attached Images Attached Images

I realize it gets cold up there, but you should consider putting at least the plants outdoors. The fish can be indoors. This will keep the temp more stable in your system and give you the good ole sun to power your plants!

Members

I'm going to try to talk my boss into letting me put up a small greenhouse next/attached to my cabin. This way I can move alot of this into there. In the meantime....I have lemon trees and they in no way will survive outside. I have a 1K HPS that I have for my citrus in the winter...this time I'm going to use it to grow other stuff. As of right now I have a 4 bulb T5 for my water hyacinth and duckweed, and a few houseplants. It's in the 40's here at night and lettuce and such will do great. I may pump "wastewater" into a drum and use it in a recirculated system outside or in the greenhouse on the farm...we'll see....

As for ordering fish....I asked the place I was going to order from if they required any type of paperwork to send me fish and they responded with..
    At the moment I am not aware of any paperwork I need from either state If you are raising them indoors.
    I know otherwise....if i order them what are the chances they will be confiscated in the mail? What are the chances they will even know what kind of fish they are? This may be more of a "moral question".

The USPS does not enforce laws regarding fish... that is the job, at least here, of the FWC (Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission). They have guns. So, it's best to do as they say.

I'm sure your state has something similar. If they don't have guns, just point and laugh at them when they tell you to do something. Make sure to record it for us here on the forum.

Members

I asked the local mom/pop fish store who might be in charge of that stuff. They told me it was http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/....i think they have guns...but i'll laugh anyway and document here for your amusement. I'm going to order...hope it arrives and i'm not out $200....and i'm sure if i order and "get cought"...they'll just not show up. If they're here and I only use the anonimity of the internet to mock the government...can they really do anything...and if they could...using a forum to bust someone for some fish that is marginally illegal....

all in all...i'm ordering....more to follow.....

Members

any thoughts on putting some redclaw in with the tilapia?

Quote Originally Posted by MurCurY
    any thoughts on putting some redclaw in with the tilapia?
    Check: viewforum.php?f=50

Given the chance, the Redclaw will eat your fish
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"