Members

New System Setup Help

Hello everyone,

I have decided on what I think is a good layout and got the wifes approval , but I need help in the details.

My plan is to run a pump from the fish tank down in the ground up to the grow beds and then let them drain by gravity back into the FT (using a siphon). Can I use one pump and split it to the two grow beds or should I use two pumps? Can I use one line to drain the tanks (pvc from first tank connected by a T to the second tank) or should I use two individual lines?

My fish tank is approximately 500 gallons (about 1900 liters) and my two grow beds will either be 4ftx4ft made from wood with a liner in it or the top and bottom of an IBC container. Which do you guys think will be better? I'm pretty sure making the boxes will be cheaper, but I'm not sure if the potential rips in the liner and fitting of the siphon will be worth the savings. I know that my grow beds are much smaller in volume than my fish tank, but I don't plan on heavily stocking the FT. I just wanted more room for error there, and the possibility for expansion later.

What pump would you then recommend (1 or 2)? I was looking at one 600 gph pump but I'm not sure. Also having a quiet pump is important so the neighbors don't get mad. I'm also not sure what size my backup pump should be. Should it be something small and cheap or should it be able to pump the full tank in an hour too? My last question (for now ) is what do you guys recommend for the aerator?

FYI: I live down in Miami, FL and plan on using tilapia. I'm sure I left out a lot of important info so please ask if you need clarification.

God Bless,
    Chris

Re: New System Setup Help

Hi bbzoe, welcome...

Yes, you can use one pump and run to two GB's. Use ball valves on each bed, so you can control the flow into them.

I've tried sharring a drain for multi beds with siphons, going back to the FT....it's easier with individual drain lines....IMO.
    For 1st place info on siphons....Do a search for 'Affnan bell siphons'....he has lots of great info on how to set them up (and why they work)

Water pumps that I've been around, are all pretty quiet. A 600 gph sounds about right....'Danners' are a pretty good brand, with a 3 year warranty. They are only a few dollars more, then ones of the same size, you'd buy at the home improvement stores.

Air pumps are another story...some are quiet.. some aren't.

Aquatic eco-systems web site has lots of stuff to look at....and to drool over, like the piston air pumps they have on sale right now.....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan