Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: Buying yellow perch?

sorry fc, but most of the yp i purchased last february at 3" are market size after 1 year, and i didn't even have them on a "strict" feeding schedule.. cool water temps, and regular feeding, and they will grow..

you've been in the texas heat too long!

i've had to travel to laredo for several work trips, the worst trip was the middle of summer, hell is an understatement.. i'm not used to not being able to even touch my car, let alone have to wait 10 minutes till it's no longer a convection oven

starting the labor on my system expansion this weekend if i can get my car fixed..

i don't think the trout are going to work out this year, so i'll probably be getting a couple hundred yp, and will be able to show you

Well, depends on what your market size is? If your market is for breeding, you might be right. But
    MY experience has been they don't reach a good edible, fillet size worth justifying the labor costs, etc in that short of a time period.
    But I don't know it all.....IF you can do it, good for you. Not many can.
    There's easier species to work with though, that grow faster and fillet out bigger. And since it's measured by the lbs...that's something to take into thought. IF though you are marketing towards more of a stocker type program than "market size" is whatever your buyer/contract wants.

So I suppose it's relative. In channel cats for instance, eating market is usually about 3 lbs. And the processing places want them to be fairly uniform/graded. So your not delivering 1 ton of mixed sizes. IF they are meant to be forage fish, market size is what.....2-3"? So it's relative to what market he's reaching for...and I don't know what that is.

This all goes back the originals posts....we don't have enough information to accurately give advice as we don't know what the end result is. I have stated my experiences with YP. I for one love them, but wrote them off as a commercially viable aquaculture species about 15 years ago for these reasons.

You are right.....TX is not forgiving when it comes to the heat. I have been all over this world, and can't recall a place that was consistantly as harsh as the climate is here. Yet we have some of the best wildlife, and diverse agriculture I have seen anywhere. TX in my experience is simple....get tough, or die.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    This all goes back the originals posts....we don't have enough information to accurately give advice as we don't know what the end result is. I have stated my experiences with YP. I for one love them, but wrote them off as a commercially viable aquaculture species about 15 years ago for these reasons.
    True, but to be fair, I only asked for advice about purchasing them. I think we've solved that now, but I appreciate the input.
    It's all about the fish, dude.