Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Aquaponic Armageddon!

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    I leveled "red neck footers" yesterday, drove 24" long rebar through the centers, and cememted them in this morning.
    Oh wow....you did 'fancy' red neck footers with rebar....

I built 4' x 8' x 12" grow beds....and I installed 1" drains. It actually worked pretty well. Don't remember the exact drain time, it was in the upper range, but it was acceptable.
    Per Affnan...I did add a 1 1/2" X 1" reducing coupling to the top of the stand pipe. Without it and the Bernoulli effect, I wouldn't of gotten the speed of the drain time.

Bsfman.....You may be able to/should be able to, use a 3/4 inch stand pipe....like you said, your 'total volume' of the bed is approx 120 gals.
    I agree, you may only be drainning, as little as 40 gallons of water.
    So you think a 3/4" stand pipe with 1" reducer and 1 1/2" bell would do the trick?

So you think a 3/4" stand pipe with 1" reducer and 1 1/2" bell would do the trick?
    This opinion is being given 'as' I start my morning coffee... :P ....I don't think a 1"x3/4" reducer will fit inside a 1 1/2" bell... 'If' it does...it will be a pretty tight fit, not enough room for good water flow. (Try a 'test' fit at the store)
    I'd consider using a 2" bell....with a vent tube/snorkle tube, to help break the flow easier.
    HD sells thin wall, 4" drain pipe....I've used it for gravel gaurds.( it comes with, or with out holes in it, it's slightly off white-'very light' tan color) It's cheaper then schdl 40 and has a bigger ID...I think a 10' stick is around 10 bucks.

Looking forward to some pictures of your new set up bsfman...

just a 'fun' side note...
    I mentioned at another site, about getting a siphon to 'break'....to a lady from Sweden...she didn't understand, why I wanted her to destroy her bell siphon..
    I looked up 'break'...I didn't realize how many different ways it could be used. I think I saw around 30 different ways to use the word...
    I've been using english all my life ...and I'm still trying to figure it out...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    This opinion is being given 'as' I start my morning coffee... :P ....I don't think a 1"x3/4" reducer will fit inside a 1 1/2" bell... 'If' it does...it will be a pretty tight fit, not enough room for good water flow. (Try a 'test' fit at the store)
    I'd consider using a 2" bell....with a vent tube/snorkle tube, to help break the flow easier.
    HD sells thin wall, 4" drain pipe....I've used it for gravel gaurds.( it comes with, or with out holes in it, it's slightly off white-'very light' tan color) It's cheaper then schdl 40 and has a bigger ID...I think a 10' stick is around 10 bucks.

Looking forward to some pictures of your new set up bsfman...
    Doh! <smacking palm on forehead> Yeah, you're right about that! I wasn't allowing for sidewall thickness.

I used the 4" drainpipe as gravel guards in my other two systems. I also used it in my strawberry towers. Good stuff and works well. I'll be using it again.

I was using 4 separate 1/2" standpipes on the bell siphons in 4 grow beds in my armageddon system.
    The beds were 2'x3'x8"deep and the 1/2" was perfectly adequate for the smaller beds. I also used 1" standpipes on my small system with the same size growbeds - kind of an experiment. Definitely overkill, but it works fine - just a really fast cycle time (which the plants sure don't seem to mind!). I think the 1" will be just about right on the 16 cubic foot grow beds. I was going to try "Affnan Siphons" on the new system, but so far have not been able to find the type reducers he uses. All the local box stores carry are bushing reducers. Looks like I'll be going with the traditional bell siphons without reducers like I've used before.

Got the two sides of my GB stand finished today. Primed and painted one and primed the other. I'll finish up painting tomorrow then install cross ties and braces between the two sides. Friday the construction and painting of the GB box is on the schedule, with liner and bell siphon installation and "test firing" on Saturday. I took some pics, but will have to resize and upload them before I can post them. Maybe later tonight if I don't fall asleep in my chair!

Let's see if I can get this photobucket slide show to work...

Looking nice and neat bsfman...
    I was going to try "Affnan Siphons" on the new system, but so far have not been able to find the type reducers he uses. All the local box stores carry are bushing reducers. Looks like I'll be going with the traditional bell siphons without reducers like I've used before.
    You might have to go to a real hardware store...'?'
    They have them at Flexpvc....
    http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?cart_ ... s-Reducing
    The cost and postage add up fast, but they did get them sent pretty quick when my buddy ordered some.

Or...
    I'm going to try this....use the 2 part plumber epoxy to make more of a bell shape 'inside' the reducing couplings.
    I want a 1 " x 1/2" bell reducer...so I'll put two reducing couplings together. The drawing isn't that great, but it'll give you the idea...
    (in the drawing, the 3/4x 1/2 is a bushing..the 1x3/4 is a reducing coupling. 2 couplings can be used, if a very short section of pipe is used between them)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

i experimented a little bit with a reducing bushing and it worked ok..
    didn't someone here heat their standpipe and just put a bell in it?

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    i experimented a little bit with a reducing bushing and it worked ok..
    didn't someone here heat their standpipe and just put a bell in it?
    Now THAT'S a great idea, Keith! I have a heat gun and certainly possess the skill to aquire an empty beer bottle (which would seem to be the perfect mandrel for forming a bell shape when inserted neck first into a section of heat-softened PCV pipe!)

THis is very intriguing as I am about to build out my second system using a couple of IBC totes.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Members

i was thinking a beer bottle would probably be good as well.. you may have to put some "slits" in the end of the pipe, but you could probably melt a patch into the slits..

More pics from today's progress. Click thumbnail to view slideshow...

Completed assembly of my new aquaponic grow bed stand today. This has been a 4 day project so far. I was happy it came out square and level. That doesn't always happen when I build stuff. I still have a bit of painting to finish up.

I massively over-engineered this stand, but didn't want another collapse when the grow bed is filled with over a ton of pea gravel. This stand is rock steady and SOLID! Looks like a railroad trestle!

I'll finish the grow bed assembly and build the auto-siphon tomorrow, the test drive, load with gravel, and plumb into the system Saturday.