Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can you have metallic screen above bed?

Ok, here's the deal. My AP system is conveniently placed underneath a large tree. I did this purposely because it still allows moderate sunlight to pass through, but provides enough shelter against the HOT summers we get, or extra windy fall seasons.

The downside is that this tree litters falling leaves like crazy. I was thinking of putting some kind of transparent screen or netting above so that the leaves don't fall on my grow beds. However, I wanted to know if there was any harm in doing that. My concern would be when it rains, the water will pass through this catch screen.....and if it's metallic, it will then drip into the grow bed and eventually to the tank through the natural draining process. Would this impart anything bad into the system?

Or do you recommend some other kind of material (perhaps from the Home Depot website) that you think I should look at?

Right now, I am thinking of either some cheap roll of screen, or perhaps even chicken wire. Thoughts?
    ------------
    My System: Jeff's Backyard System Here We Go!

Re: Can you have metallic screen above bed?

It should be fine in most cases, but without knowing what material and netting you are looking at, there's no way to say definitively.

Is your grow bed gravel? Why not just let it fall on the gravel? Every so often you can collect it and bury it in the gravel. If you have worms, this is even better, but the worms aren't necessary to benefit from this.

In one of the 3rd world countries I work in we make "fertilizer" out of old leaves. It works very well. This process was showed to us by the local University. They have analysis on the resulting "tea" and it is quite nutrient rich.

Just a thought.

I am using Hydroton, and the leaves are about as big as my hand......and plentiful. I fear that they would suffocate my grow beds, or at the very least, make it very ugly. I would constantly have to be picking leaves off it everyday if I don't control the amount that fall on it.

Here is a pic of the leaves that just fell in one (non-windy) day, and their size compared to my hand (I am a 5' 10" guy).

Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------

Members

bird netting would probably work..and it's cheap

Oh cool! I never even heard of bird netting before! I will check that out and see!
    ------------

Here's a pict of some bird netting I added to a small system at Sahib's Aquaponics. I just used some pvc for a frame and attached the bird netting with some tye wraps. Not only does it keep the leaves out, but it keeps out the veggie eating squirrels too.
    The 3-way fittings for the top corners are used to make cages. They were ordered form aquatic-eco systems. You don't have to have them, they just make a nicer looking frame.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

That's a nice frame. I actually thought I would do something similar but as a greenhouse (with plastic instead of netting). However, that was down the line.

Let me ask you this. Is it a pain in the ass to move every time you want to get your hands on your plants? Or does it lift up on the one side for easy access without taking the whole thing down?
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Let me ask you this. Is it a pain in the ass to move every time you want to get your hands on your plants? Or does it lift up on the one side for easy access without taking the whole thing down?
    Yes, there are 2 'doors'. One at the front of the tubs and at the rear. The netting is attached to some metal conduit. ( can be seen near the pvc 45's) I grab the conduit and (attached netting) and just set it on top.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    I actually thought I would do something similar but as a greenhouse (with plastic instead of netting). However, that was down the line.
    This is sitting under a tree, like yours. I 'may' add some shade cloth 'if' the tree isn't enough. This winter, I can add some green house cover or frost cloth, right over the frame and bird netting....

Ok, that's what I thought.......and it's similar to the greenhouse design I thought of. It basically would be a PVC frame, and just plastic anchored on the bottom so that it can be draped over the frame, but still easily accessible.

Heck, I could probably combine both ideas together. The PVC frame with the bird netting is year round......but on cold months or rainy/windy ones, I could drape the anchored plastic over the top of the net and boom! Instant greenhouse to protect against downpours and wind!
    ------------