Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to connect Pump to system?

So it's the easiest question in the world, but since I have a lot of self doubt, I find myself deferring to others who have experience with this stuff!

Here is the pump I have:

It came with no connections or tubing. I want to use strictly PVC to connect it to my 3/4" pipe leading to my system.

So the question is, if I walk into Home Depot, what is the name of the connections that I need to do this? The top of the pump is a 1/2" MPT outlet, and as I mentioned, my system is 3/4".

So is it a female 1/2" to 3/4" adapter needed? What would the name be? I tried to look at Home Depot for something, but I didn't know what to look for. I guess the one female end has to be threaded and 1/2" in size in order to connect......but the opposite end needs to be able to fit onto a smooth 3/4" PVC.

Help a brother out!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------
    My System: Jeff's Backyard System Here We Go!

Re: How to connect Pump to system?

Jeff,

There are at least two ways to do what you want. Simplest is to get a 1/2 inch fpt to 1/2 inch slip. Also get a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch slip reducer. Ask for help when you get to the store and they will get you where you need to go. It all depends on what you are connecting to, as in 3/4 inch pvc pipe.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    Jeff,

There are at least two ways to do what you want. Simplest is to get a 1/2 inch fpt to 1/2 inch slip. Also get a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch slip reducer. Ask for help when you get to the store and they will get you where you need to go. It all depends on what you are connecting to, as in 3/4 inch pvc pipe.

Oliver
    Oliver - Perfect! Thanks for the answer and reassurance!
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    Simplest is to get a 1/2 inch fpt to 1/2 inch slip
    The box should be marked .... 1/2 inch female adapter. They "might" even have a reducing female adapter....1/2 " fpt to 3/4 " slip.
    Consider adding a 3/4 inch 'union' to your pipe as it comes out of the tank. That way it will be easy to pull the pump out to clean the filter and the impeller...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

i wouldn't bother using the sponge "pre-filter" - if you leave it, you'll have to clean it occassionally (when you notice the flow decreasing)

Regarding the filter, I wasn't planning on using that sponge simply because I thought the point was to have the solids removed and pumped to the grow beds. If I used a filter, it seems like that would defeat the purpose. If I should be using some kind of makeshift filter (using a screen or something on the pump's intake, then let me know.
    ------------

make sure the screen is either stainless steel or nonmetallic.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Regarding the filter, I wasn't planning on using that sponge simply because I thought the point was to have the solids removed and pumped to the grow beds. If I used a filter, it seems like that would defeat the purpose. If I should be using some kind of makeshift filter (using a screen or something on the pump's intake, then let me know.
    I tried going "sponge filterless", but if you wind up with snails in your system (which I have) the snails LOVE crawling into the pump intake if it's minus the filter. I don't mind the snails (the tilapia love munching on them!) but they can seriously clog your pump intake. I went back to the sponge filter despite every second day filter cleanings, since my system here runs smoother with them.

To avoid snails, be very careful about introducing duckweed or water hyacinth or any plants, stones, or solid objects from a natural water source into your system!

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    I tried going "sponge filterless", but if you wind up with snails in your system (which I have) the snails LOVE crawling into the pump intake if it's minus the filter. I don't mind the snails (the tilapia love munching on them!) but they can seriously clog your pump intake. I went back to the sponge filter despite every second day filter cleanings, since my system here runs smoother with them.

To avoid snails, be very careful about introducing duckweed or water hyacinth or any plants, stones, or solid objects from a natural water source into your system!
    Out of curiosity, if you use a sponge filter, doesn't that leave most of the fish waste solids behind in the tank, thus not delivering them to the grow beds?
    ------------

Out of curiosity, if you use a sponge filter, doesn't that leave most of the fish waste solids behind in the tank, thus not delivering them to the grow beds?
    I don't want solids in my growbeds. In fact, I pre-filter the water through a mechanical filter between my pump and growbeds to eliminate them. Plenty of nutrients in the water alone without gunking up the growbeds with extra crud. There are also plenty of solids that make it past the sponge prefilter and wind up lodging and decomposing in my mech filters.