Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Members

Re: Jeff's Backyard System - Here We Go!

no worries txdurk..
    i've seen a few systems with the rubbermaid 110 gallon stock tanks that held up quite well
    i kept fish in one for a summer, but when i moved into the basement, i went a bit bigger

Members

Thanks Keith. That report boosts my confidence a lot. Right now I have a small proof-of-concept system using two 45 gallon structural foam stock tanks in a 1:1 ratio. I liked the sturdiness of them so I was attracted to the 100 gallon tank although I was drawn to the ten extra gallons of the ldpe one. I'm trying to figure out system #2 assuming I have success this year so this discussion has helped me. Cheers.

Hey guys! Been a long time! I need to update this thread since my system is now almost one year old. To answer the question that was just asked, the 110 gallon tank has worked PERFECTLY! No bowing, no issues at all.

I shall update this thread soon with more pictures hopefully soon. I have noticed that going into my SECOND season with my system, the plants do seem to be growing a lot better now that I have a balanced system. I remember starting out last year, some of my seeds looked a little deformed when they sprouted, but this year, everything seems to look good.

I have made a lot of cosmetic changes to my system, including a covered overhang, a makeshift wind-block, and a custom designed water heater.
    ------------
    My System: Jeff's Backyard System Here We Go!

Members

Thanks Jeff: I may swap out my 45 FT for the 110 so the water level doesn't drop as far when filling the GB as in the 45. I can use the 45 I remove down the line or as a second GB if I can squeeze it in my space. Cheers.

Members

Just read throughthe earlier discussion around ammonia levels. I had a bell siphon malfunction that almost sucked my FT dry so I was forced to do a 80% water change. I took a baseline reading. The ph was6.6 and ammonia was .25 so I was pleased. However, today the ammonia is off the chart and nitrites are pretty high too. Nitrates are <=5ppm. I'm doing a fishless cycle and haven't added ammonia for two weeks. I'm confused what why my ammonia level spiked. Any clues?

Quote Originally Posted by txdurk
    Just read throughthe earlier discussion around ammonia levels. I had a bell siphon malfunction that almost sucked my FT dry so I was forced to do a 80% water change. I took a baseline reading. The ph was6.6 and ammonia was .25 so I was pleased. However, today the ammonia is off the chart and nitrites are pretty high too. Nitrates are <=5ppm. I'm doing a fishless cycle and haven't added ammonia for two weeks. I'm confused what why my ammonia level spiked. Any clues?
    You may want to start this as a separate post so it doesn't get off-topic from my backyard system. However, if I had to guess, maybe you had a lot of ammonia tied up inside the grow bed media, so even though you added more water, perhaps there was still a strong concentration of ammonia that was released by the growing media. I really couldn't say though. I know my system went through WILD swings with ammonia in the beginning before it was fully cycled.
    ------------
    My System: Jeff's Backyard System Here We Go!

Members

My thoughts too on both counts Jeff.

Members

Nice system! It seems I have a lot to learn about the cycling process before I get started.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Ok, so I figure I would make an official thread documenting my first aquaponic system. I still have LOTS of questions, but I may ask them in separate posts so that this thread stays on topic of documenting the progress.

As of right now, I have three 45 gallon tubs for the grow beds, and one 110 gallon tank for the fish. All were purchased at Tractor Supply Company. I highly recommend their Tuff Stuff brand, because it's been the most affordable I could find (compared to Rubbermaid which is twice the cost).

I then went to Home Depot and purchased 32 basalite concrete blocks: 8x8x16. Those are supporting two boards measuring 2x8x10.

Finally, I have a lot of the PVC purchased. I assembled the PVC manifold which will pump water from the tank to all three grow beds. Here is a photo of what the project looks like so far:

NEXT TO DO: Drill the holes in the grow beds to make bell siphons.

Looks great!! Gives me other ideas on how I can add to my system without buying more IBC Totes
    ~Allen

Nice looking set up I look forward to seeing it all full of plants and fish soon.

Man I like pictures, can't wait until I can start taking pictures.
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all