Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Making your own fish food

Hey Guys,

My brother and I are on a mission to make our own fish food this year. Have any of you done this? If so, what is your recipe?

We were thinking of milling the ingredients and then trying to bake the stuff. Any DiY pelletizers?

We are growing some food like corn, beans and peas. We have access to a ton of spent brewers grains each week. We are breeding mealworms and red wigglers. We were also planning on using some asomite, rock dust and hydrolzed molasses. Would a combination of this stuff work?

Members

Re: Making your own fish food

Where do you buy your azomite?

I believe you are going to like it. I think if you add some whole wheat flour to it, might be okay too.
    I think I add some wheat grass to it too.
    There is a price for everything in life!

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    Hey Guys,

My brother and I are on a mission to make our own fish food this year. Have any of you done this? If so, what is your recipe?

We were thinking of milling the ingredients and then trying to bake the stuff. Any DiY pelletizers?

We are growing some food like corn, beans and peas. We have access to a ton of spent brewers grains each week. We are breeding mealworms and red wigglers. We were also planning on using some asomite, rock dust and hydrolzed molasses. Would a combination of this stuff work?
    Lot's of people use unflavored gelatin as a binder for the ground up ingredients (no need to bake this way). You can keep refrigerated and cut into small cubes for feeding. I'm planning on trying this with macerated BSF larvae and duckweed as ingredients.

Interesting! I juice on a regular basis and always end up with a tone of macerated vegetable matter. My worms have been getting the majority of this but I may now have to reconsider my use of this stuff.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Mrowsh,

I get my Azomite from my work, Garden Planet in Paonia. It is an amazing little garden/soil shop, we have all sorts of soil amendments and soil building materials.

I will try and take some pictures of what we do and get this little DIY party rollin.

Members

Outstanding idea.

And I ordered a 44 lbs bag of azomite. I read about it and found out it is good for so many different things. I wounder if any one has tried to take some as a dietery supplement?!?!

I think I will try this; I think this might work :
    Mixing whole wheat flour, ground corn or corn meal, crushed oatmeal, maybe some grounded chia seeds and then some brown sugar or molasses. Mix all with some water, make something like bread dough and bake for a little. Or as it was mentioned above, just let it sit in refrigerator.
    Then crumble it according to the size of fish into the fish tank.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I will also add some azomite to it.

Members

are you also using a commercial pellet?

Members

The system I am building is not ready for fish yet.
    I have been reading about commercial fish foods, specially those for Tilapia.

When I was a kid, we used to go fishing and put a little dough ball on our fishing hook and catch fish. We caught almost everything with it. So, I was thinking Tilapia being mostly vegetarian, if I mix some other stuff with dough it might work and at least I know there is no chemicals and preservatives in it.

Sounds great Mrowsh you should post a picture of your masterpiece when it is complete.

I also have not acquired my fish yet but I have purchased 40 lbs of food from the premium fish food company out of KS. But with shipping the price is unsustainable for us, so we are going to try and make our own food and feed that exclusively after the 40lbs are gone.

Let the food making begin!!!

I have been making and adjusting my own fish diets for years. You have to keep in mind what % you want/need. Are you feeding for growth, breeding, color, etc? I would strongly encourage adding a dillouhted garlic extract this is to encourage fish to eat it, and hard to feed fish. And a stabilized vitamin C or citric acid. It doesn't take much of either. But has profound results.
    I use dry baby cerial as a binder, and then freeze. Gelatin works well, but can make melty oozy stuff behind or maybe I used too much gelatin and not enough of the other stuff.
    I use spinach, a variety of other leafy greans, worms, shrimp, etc.
    I have even tried using dog food, and live pinkies.
    Grow out rations and breeder rations require higher protein than finisher and maintenace ration. I haven't had much luck with extruding or pelletizing. Look into small hammer mill if that's the direction you want to go. Freezing is cheaper though.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."