Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Reverse Osmosis question

Let the newbie questions begin!

When setting up a new system, is it OK to use tap water as long as you let the system cycle for around 14 days? Does the cycling process itself condition the water so that it's safe?

The reason why I ask is because another guy that I follow on YouTube said that he made the mistake of using tap water in his system and it killed his fish due to the chemicals. Now, I don't know if he was "topping off" his already existing system, but that made me wonder about this question.

Since I don't have an RO system, what is the best thing to do, assuming that I have a brand new aquaponic setup with NO FISH and NO PLANTS......just plumbing and grow beds filled with media. Do I cycle for 2 weeks WITHOUT plants? Or do I cycle for 2 weeks WITH PLANTS while keeping an eye on the water tests (adding ammonia if needed, etc)?
    ------------
    My System: Jeff's Backyard System Here We Go!

Re: Reverse Osmosis question

Hi Jeff, Check out this topic on sodium ascorbate, which will break down the chlorine and chlormines....
    removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin C?

You can cycle without fish, if your providing a source of ammonia. There is no set time on how long it takes to 'cycle'.....it could be in a few weeks, or as long as a few months.

I don't know if you started to read Oliver's posts in his Aquaponics 101 series...'?' Part 4 should answer most of your questions.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

I did chlorine tests of the tap water before and after being filtered with a large filter from Home Depot and a smaller Pur filter.

The unfiltered water would read from 3 to 8 pmm but the water after filtering with either filter would read zero. I have used filtered water in my system with no problems. The taste of the water before and after is obvious as well.

I just bought the large Home Depot filter last night and adapted it to my garden hose to make topping off much easier. The filter says it will filter 20,000 gallons and cost $30.

Good link David
    Nothin to it but to do it yourself

David - Thanks for the reply. I had started to read Oliver's posts, but I may read it again. It's one of those things where, as a beginner, you may read something and it all make sense in that moment......but then when you actually start to DO the things you read, you end up forgetting everything and start all over again. I'm one of those guys where once I do something, I never need to be shown again. It's just getting out there and doing it ONCE that I have to get out of the way first!

And Eleven11, I think that's a great idea using a filter. It may not be as neutral as RO water, but it sure has to help get things in the right direction as opposed to just using unfiltered tap water into the system. At least that's my take on it.

I wonder if anyone else here has used a filter on the end of their hose to top off or fill up a system.
    ------------
    My System: Jeff's Backyard System Here We Go!

Most of us use tap water.

Tilapia are not sensitive to the levels of chlorine in tap water found in the United States (set at the Federal level by the EPA).

I have found that goldfish, sunfish, blue gill, and a few others I can't remember die from the fresh tap chlorine concentration from my water.

I looked at those various filters and they all say reduces chlorine or even just reduces taste and smell of it. Nothing on them about removing chloramine, which is what I have. Anyone know any thing different about them?
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Members

Have you thought about collecting rain water to initially set up your system.
    It's Black Gold, It's Vermi Tea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Basil1
    I looked at those various filters and they all say reduces chlorine or even just reduces taste and smell of it. Nothing on them about removing chloramine, which is what I have. Anyone know any thing different about them?
    There are Vitamin C cartridges & tablets that claim to neutralize chloramine, google "VitaBath" or "VitaShower"

Effervescent vitamin C dechlorination tablets are comprised of ascorbic acid, citric acid and sodium bicarbonate. This powerful formula is designed to neutralize chlorine and chloramines in in hot tub or spas. As Vitabath dissolves, the vitamin C will become effervescent and begin to fizz. One Vitabath effervescent tablet is able to neutralize 1 ppm chlorine and chloramines in 100 gallons of water and completely eliminate the dry itchy skin caused by chlorine in your hot tub or spas.
    It's all about the fish, dude.

How do you know for sure how much chloramine you have?

A simple faucet or under the counter tap water drinking carbon type filter can be used, but the unit must contain high quality carbon, and unless the water is allowed sufficient contact time, it may not be completely effective. Also, chloramines can exhaust carbon much faster than chlorine alone, and therefore filter cartridges need to be replaced more often.
    Nothin to it but to do it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by vermiman
    Have you thought about collecting rain water to initially set up your system.

Looking to easily and quickly do topoffs, not starting the system. I do collect rain water, but need it to actually start raining to do so.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.