Thread: Sun Grabber

Sun Grabber

My local pool store was running a close out sale for Sun Grabber pool heaters. They were $75 each for 2'X20' rolls of solar collectors. I got two of them to heat a small pond I built a couple of years ago. It is about 10,000 gallons. I was able to heat it from 65F to 80F in two days! I'm using a 2 GPM fountain pump and various fittings and pool parts as well as a pond filter I had left over from another project. For $200 I got a solar collector that uses 80 watts of power to pump 8.2KW of heat 12 hours a day this time of year. My collectors are flat on the ground right now, but soon will be elevated for greater efficiency. This should allow me to put some breeder tilapia in my pond shortly. The pond is now 80F with average temps here still in the mod 60's and torrential rain falls.

I'll shoot some pics tomorrow of my muddy setup, but the results are beyond anything I expected. At current power rates of 10 cents per KW hour, my setup is saving me $10 a day in electrical cost. How many things do you know that give you a break even in 20 days?
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Re: Sun Grabber

I'm using pond water, but through a pond filter that gets cleaned once a week. I figure the heat will kill the growies. If I see a drop in flow I'll do some cleaning.
    Yep quick payback lets you do some experimentation. A lesson learned is to move the invisible fence so the dog doesn't puncture the heat exchanger as she chases deer...

Members

sounds pretty cool!
    but where are the pics?
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Quote Originally Posted by mommyhen42
    sounds pretty cool!
    but where are the pics?
    yeah, where are the pics?
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Won't be any this year. I put these down flat and my dog decided she liked to run accross them full tilt. She poke a bunch of holes in them. Next time I'll have them in a frame.

Members

ouch! what a shame
    can't blame the dog though, just being a dog!
    my puppy ate 2 kiddie pools in the spring and my tortoise aka tank just destroyed the one I took down... sigh

Really wanted to see them
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Have you replaced this? If so, pics! I was in HD yesterday looking at black poly tubing 1/2" and it wasn't too expensive. I would suggest building a solar frame (not just for the dog) because it traps more energy for heat. I saw a simple wood frame with glass on the sun-facing side and regular aluminum foil on the inside bottom. Anyway, I will post mine when it gets done.

No, not yet, but if you get them for a good price they can't be beat. You need a controller to be sure they don't cool vs. heat, but the numbers are good.