Thread: Duck Weed

Duck Weed

I couldn't find any place else to post this.

Does anyone have a source for clean, pest free, duck weed? I can get it from some ponds around here but since they are all stagnant, I am afraid of transporting some nasties into my system.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Members

Re: Duck Weed

trickers pond supply will ship, but it may have snails..
    i've seen it on ebay as well..

Members

I got mine off eBay! its was pest free but I stopped using it long ago as all it did was find its way into my pump and in my grow bed.
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by commander
    I couldn't find any place else to post this.

Does anyone have a source for clean, pest free, duck weed? I can get it from some ponds around here but since they are all stagnant, I am afraid of transporting some nasties into my system.
    You could try quarantining the locally harvested duckweed in a wading pool or large tote to get it started. After a couple of weeks you could tell if you imported snails with it. You could probably even disinfect a sample of it in a very weak bleach solution and after thorough rinsing, use the disinfected sample to propagate a new colony of duckweed.

Thanks for the ideas. I have found a source at the local university where one of the civil engineering profs is running an aquaponics system as a test bed for the treatment of waste water from cattle feedlot operations. He has offered starters of all of his duckweed and other aquatic plants.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets