Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Reverse Osmosis question

Unless of course it still removes the chlorine and the ammonia should be able to be dealt with by the bacteria.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

This is very close to the one I bought except mine came with adapter hoses:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ ... reId=10051
    Nothin to it but to do it yourself

I looked at that one but all it says is reduces chlorine and odors.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

The specification details that it's "Carbon-spun fiber filtration system", which would have been my first guess (since it is so cheap).

It is designed to remove chlorine from tap water. As you may know, this sets a design criteria of removing less than 4 ppm of chlorine from the tap water. This is such a small amount, it might just last for 5 years or 20,000 gallons. Tap water is very clean in just about every part of the United States (often cleaner than bottled water people buy in the store). Anyway, my point is there's not much for the filter to do; so, it might just work as expected.

We are fortunate to live in a country where we only have to worry about the taste of our water and not the safety, regularity, or price of our water.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil1
    I looked at those various filters and they all say reduces chlorine or even just reduces taste and smell of it. Nothing on them about removing chloramine, which is what I have. Anyone know any thing different about them?
    Carbon filters remove chloramine.

However, go buy a bottle of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) for $1 at Wally-World or the dollar store or drug store. Tell me how much water you have or just finely crush up the whole bottle and dump it in. Wait a few days and VIOLA, no more chloramine.

You can always do a chlorine test after to make sure or drop 1 fish in to see if it dies. Don't over think it, it's not that complicated I promise!

In my experiment using the OTO test, it reduced the chlorine to zero whereas before the filtration, it was easily 8 ppm.

That's enough reduction for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil1
    I looked at that one but all it says is reduces chlorine and odors.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven11
    In my experiment using the OTO test, it reduced the chlorine to zero whereas before the filtration, it was easily 8 ppm.

That sounds good, but how long did it take to get to that level?

I mean it comes out of the end of the filter reading zero. What do you mean, how long did it take?

The flow rate out was adjustable since I put a ball valve on the end of the garden hose. I set the flow to come out at a reasonable quick rate... much faster than the PUR sink filter. It could have been set to jet out of the filter but I figured slower is better.

I mean it comes out of the end of the filter reading zero. What do you mean, how long did it take?

The flow rate out was adjustable since I put a ball valve on the end of the garden hose. I set the flow to come out at a reasonable quick rate... much faster than the PUR sink filter. It could have been set to jet out of the filter but I figured slower is better.

Thanks, will have to look at those again.

8 PPM ???