Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

The BioPod - Black Soldier Fly Larvae Harvester

[video:3dwup75q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkKqkAYPjV8[/video:3dwup75q]

I recently purchased a BioPod (for the production of BSF larvae to feed the fish) and thought that before I start using it I should video it so that those that haven't seen one before can get a better idea on how they work. I really think BSF is a great supplemental food for fish. Feed your fish duckweed and BSF larvae and you shouldn't have to use too many fish pellets at all...

When researching the BSF I also found some interesting info about it so put that into the video as well. I also wrote this blog article on it which is basically a text version of what I say in the video. Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers, Andrew.
    The Aquaponics Map shows backyard aquaponics systems around the world - add yours!

Follow me on Twitter, add me as a friend on Facebook or view my Aquaponics Systems blog.

Re: The BioPod - Black Soldier Fly Larvae Harvester

I was put off by the cost of the biospod, and its low production of larvae compared to the magots it produces. I plant to self harvest less that full growth larvae and not try to get self harvest. Collecting magots is pretty easy. Making a bin for them is simple and I am just waiting for my larvae to be delivered.

These are also sold as phoenix flies and can be bought quite inexpensively. I'll post pics shortly of my home brew set-up built for under $10.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    I was put off by the cost of the biospod, and its low production of larvae compared to the magots it produces. I plant to self harvest less that full growth larvae and not try to get self harvest. Collecting magots is pretty easy. Making a bin for them is simple and I am just waiting for my larvae to be delivered.

These are also sold as phoenix flies and can be bought quite inexpensively. I'll post pics shortly of my home brew set-up built for under $10.
    I'll second that! the cost scared me off too, but if you can afford it, I think it would be a cool tool to have
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

I made my own using a large nursery pot for a small tree and some old garden hose that I shaved part off of.
    I made 2 one using hot glue to attach the hose and the other one where I used a heavy duty stapler to attach the hose.
    The one that I used the hot glue failed yesterday and it is full of bsf so I had to brace the hose so that it would not come down compleatly. I will probally do more hot glue just to keep it in place over the summer.

The other one is not in use right now as my neighbor keeps throwing her scraps out instead of letting me have them. She forgets till the regular flys come in and then dumps it, I keep telling her that I would pick it up every other day if she wanted but she forgets... I figure with 5 kids there would be enough scraps to keep one in high gear for a while but.... sigh

I saw one that someone did with a square bucket and pvc pipes and it seemed to work well but I would really hate having to cut those things in half lengthwise....

Mine is working pretty well despite the breakdown of the hose and I plan on taking some larvae fishing with me next week, I gave some to a fisherman friend the other day and he is supposed to let me know how he does.

I used old trash can lids for the lids on my units
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

People get hung up on the self harvesting part of this. If you don't need that, and I don't, you harvest them on demand. Take a plastic butter tub and poke large holes in the sides. Put some cat or dog food pellets in it and moisten it. Sink it in the container over the holes. Come back in an hour and it will be loaded with grubs.

My system uses cheap nested plastic tubs. The top tub is loaded with holes in the bottom to allow it to drain to the bottom tub. I use Trex railing as a spacer to keep the top tub off the bottom. I drilled 2 2" holes in the lid of one container and used stand-offs to fit the second lid to the first so the flies can get in and out. I'm using co-co coir as bedding and corrigated cardboard taped to the sides for nesting sites for the flies.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

HOPE THIS WORKS !

Thanks to Jon (stucco) and his wife, I now am the proud owner of some soldier fly larva. I had to throw something together, to put them in. I took a plastic flower pot, lined the bottom with rubber shelf liner. It's perferated, so it should let the 'tea' out.

I set the pot on top of a 2 gal bucket. For a lid, I used a commercial nursery pot, upside down. Inside of this 'lid', I put some squares of coroplast for the flys to ( hopefully) lay their eggs onto. That's what it looked like in the store bought unit. Coroplast looks like plastic cardboard...they make signs with it.

I am worried about lizards getting all the flies. Dont think they'll grab the larva.....but fire ants might ???

If you look close, this guy is licking his lips....him and about a dozen of his buddies were watching me build the 'fly house' ......
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Hi......I just went to add some vegy scraps to my soilder flys. When I lifted the lid, I saw mold (?) growing on top of the compost. It was white and 'kinda' had a spider web look to it.

Is this normal.....or do you think I need a little more air flow ?
    If you look at my previous post, you'll see the lid does have some holes in it.

I poked around and saw some small white grubs, crawling about. So things shouldn't be too bad, right ???

Thanks for your input.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Hey dave, we’ve had the mold once. Not too sure what caused it or what made it go away. We generally turn the bed over once a day with a little three prong garden rake. Sounds like you have a good start if you already have little grubs.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

I am sooooo envious of you guys
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

how is the mold?
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie