Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trave Mineral Question

I was showing off my blue barrel set up to a friend who has a background in agronomy and he asked some questions I couldn't answer. One of them that really stuck with is this; "What about trace minerals. How are they maintained in the system with nothing but the bacteria and the fish to supply nutrients to the plants." His concern is that when the plants consume the trace minerals in the water, there is no way for them to be replenished in amounts big enough to sustain growth.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Re: Trave Mineral Question

I plan to make my own fish food soon and I was thinking of adding asomite and rock dust to the fish food.

You can add liquid trace minerals. I used a product from SeaChem called Flourish.

Total Nitrogen 0.07%
    Available Phosphate ( P2O5) 0.01%
    Soluble Potash 0.37%
    Calcium (Ca) 0.14%
    Magnesium (Mg) 0.11%
    Sulfur (S) 0.2773%
    Boron (B) 0.009%
    Chlorine (Cl) 1.15%
    Cobalt (Co) 0.0004%
    Copper (Cu) 0.0001%
    Iron (Fe) 0.32%
    Manganese (Mn) 0.0118%
    Molybdenum (Mo) 0.0009%
    Sodium (Na) 0.13%
    Zinc (Zn) 0.0007%
    Nothin to it but to do it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by commander
    I was showing off my blue barrel set up to a friend who has a background in agronomy and he asked some questions I couldn't answer. One of them that really stuck with is this; "What about trace minerals. How are they maintained in the system with nothing but the bacteria and the fish to supply nutrients to the plants." His concern is that when the plants consume the trace minerals in the water, there is no way for them to be replenished in amounts big enough to sustain growth.
    Well, for starters I would like to point out they are called trace minerals for a reason... they are in trace amounts, which scientifically denotes they are in extremely minute quantities.

Second, it's not an entirely closed system. There is an input, fish food, rocks for gravel, random dust from the wind, etc. People of course add additional things into their system as mentioned here, but I feel it is not needed for a properly managed system.

Third, since we constantly have to top off our system, we are putting water into it. Some of us use well water, some use city water... and they both contain trace minerals as well; so, they are constantly being added into the system.

As a scientist, I also want to scream when someone with a scientific background says "with nothing but the bacteria" as any scientist in this field knows the bacteria, in fact, "create" the majority of nutrients for the plants.

*BIG SIGH*

I could go on, but I think that's what you were looking for?

UF, Thanks, that is pretty much what I was looking for. I am not a scientist. My background is in business and finance. Common sense told me that I was missing something but I wasn't sure what or where. Thanks again to everyone for your input and help.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
    Flourish Excel
    Section I: MANUFACTURER’S NAME, ADDRESS, AND CONTACT INFORMATION
    Seachem Laboratories, Inc. Emergency Telephone Number: 706-343-6060
    1000 Seachem Drive Telephone Number for Information: 706-343-6060
    Madison, GA 30650 Date Prepared: 28 September 2009
    SECTION II: CHEMICAL INGREDIENTS/IDENTITY INFORMATION
    Components (Chemical Identity; Common Names(s)) OSHA PEL ACGIH TLV Other Limits
    Aqueous solution of polycycloglutaracetal ND ND NA
    SECTION III: PHYSICAL/CHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS
    Boiling Point 100o C Specific Gravity (H2O = 1) 1.00
    Vapor Pressure (mm Hg) 23.8@25o C Melting Point NA
    Vapor Density (AIR = 1) <1 H2O Evaporation Rate (Butyl Acetate = 1) 0.3
    Solubility in Water Soluble Appearance and Odor Clear, slightly blue
    liquid, faint sweet
    odor
    SECTION IV: FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA
    Flash Point (Method Used) NA
    Flammable Limits NA
    LEL NA
    UEL NA
    Extinguishing Media NA
    Special Fire Fighting Procedures NA
    Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazards NA
    SECTION V: REACTIVITY DATA
    Stability Stable under normal conditions of use
    Conditions to Avoid None
    Incompatibility (Materials to Avoid) None
    Hazardous Decomposition or Byproducts Carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide
    Hazardous Polymerization Will Not Occur
    Polymerization Conditions to Avoid Temperatures above 100o C
    SECTION VI: HEALTH HAZARD DATA
    Route(s) of Entry: Inhalation, Skin, Eyes, Ingestion
    Health Hazards (Acute): Inhalation-Irritation to respiratory tract; Skin-Itching, pain; Eyes-Conjunctivitis;
    Ingestion-Moderately toxic
    Carcinogenicity: NA
    Signs and Symptoms of Exposure: Inhalation-Stinging sensation in nose or throat, possible bleeding from
    the nose, coughing, difficulty with breathing; Skin-Itching, redness, swelling, pain; Eyes-Redness,
    swelling, discharge; Ingestion-Irritation of digestive tract, pain, nausea, vomiting
    Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: Dermatitis, asthma, inflammatory or fibrotic
    pulmonary disease
    Emergency and First Aid Procedures: Inhalation-Remove to fresh air; Skin-Remove contaminated
    clothing, wash with soap and water; Eyes-Flush with water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical
    attention; Ingestion-DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING, do not give water to drink, seek medical help
    immediately. NOTE TO PHYSICIAN-Due to the moderately irritating or corrosive nature of the material,
    and the potential for lung injury from material aspirated during vomiting, the stomach should be
    evacuated carefully, with a method least likely to cause aspiration (e.g., gastric lavage after endotracheal
    intubation.)
    SECTION VII: PRECAUTIONS FOR SAFE HANDLING AND USE
    Steps to Be Taken in Case Material is Released or Spilled: Dilute with large quantities of water and flush
    to drain.
    Waste Disposal Method: Consistent with local, state, and Federal regulations.
    Precautions to Be Taken in Handling and Storing: Store tightly sealed.
    Other Precautions: Avoid eye contact
    SECTION VIII: CONTROL MEASURES
    Respiratory Protection NA
    Ventilation Local Exhaust, Mechanical Ventilation
    Protective Gloves Recommended
    Eye Protection Required
    Other Protective Clothing or Equipment NA
    Work/Hygienic Practices Good house keeping practices

Also states on the bottle, for aquarium use only. Do not eat, drink or get in eyes.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Members

personally i wouldn't use "flourish" or very many other "additives" in an AP system.. there a very few exceptions..seasol or maxicrop being one of the main ones..and now that my barrels have been running for 18 months in my basement, i haven't added anything besides shellgrit (for ph) and eggshells for several months..currently fighting another aphid outbreak, and will order some more ladybugs soon.. nematodes will take care of fungus gnats
    a mature system won't need additives anyways, as long as you provide good water, and good food

I added the trace minerals at first because the system was new and I was having problems with pale yellowing leaves and stunted growth. No more problems there though. Everything is growing like crazy now.
    Nothin to it but to do it yourself

Members

I feel like I am having the same issue. I have an amazing grow light (for the size of the system) my nitrates are high and I have tons of material in the FT that goes up to the GBs (no filter on my pump). My Tomatoes and Basil are doing amazing, but my Kale and Cilantro aren't growing at all, the leaves also dry up and are turning yellow. I am in a continual struggle to lower the pH, currently using lemon juice to prepare water before adding.

pH ~ 7.4
    Ammonia ~ 0ppm
    Nitrites ~ 0ppm
    Nitrates ~ >40ppm

Does anyone think trave (jk) minerals are required here? The system has been running for a few months now.

I have photo's of the system on my facebook profile http://www.facebook.com/plowmanjared

Thanks all!
    Organic Bell Peppers are $6 each... suddenly growing my own food doesn't sound like too much work!!

I don't see pictures of the plants with the problems. Take a close up of the plants in question and I can give you a limited diagnosis.