Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much hcl?

Members

Re: how much hcl?

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    At UF: if we had a smile face with a 'thumbs up', I'd post it here for you..

At Alex: so your adding about 10% more water to the system 'each week'. That may account for your slow growth.....besides a high PH, you may be losing lots of nutes due to a possible leak (?)

The water your adding...
    'what' is it's PH ?

If your not pre-treating the added water for chlorine/chloromines....plus you start adding acid....remeber what UF shared, you'll have even more chlorine

I currently use 2 barrels split up and connected by some abs and as far as i can tell there is no moisture around the GB nor the floor around the area. the only reason i can think of so much water loss is that one of the tanks sits in the sun, but even then , my water temps are around 60-65(not sure exactly how much water temp effects evaporation). when i add the water i simply fill up a home depot bucket straight from my tap and the ph of that sits around 8.3. also, doesnt the chlorine effect fish more than plants?
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When you say 'fill up the bucket'....are you going almost to the top, as in, 4 1/2 -5 gals every week ?
    That 'seems' like a lot, for this time of the year...'?' It has been a pretty warm winter here in central FL....maybe out there too ? If I remeber, your system is on the roof (?)....maybe your having a lot of evap from winds too ? Come summer, this may become even more of an issue.

It's interresting, your 'add up water' has the same PH as your system's water. I'd consider pre-treating the water for ph and chlorine.

Quote Originally Posted by alex281
    doesnt the chlorine effect fish more than plants?

I'd say yes....UF may have more details on 'how much' chlorine effects plants growth.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

temp and relative humidity are factors in determing evap losses, but if you're loosing 5 gallons a week that's only 10%.. a little high.. covering tanks with shade cloth should help.. maybe a windbreak if you've got a good breeze