Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recover energy

Members

Recover energy

I'm not trying to create perpetual motion. But I was thinking about placing a waterwheel generator to convert some of the energy of the returning water from the siphon back into electricity. The system that I am thinking about would be powered by a solar panel and battery. It seems like a waterwheel would displace the water a little more and add more O2 to it.
    It's Black Gold, It's Vermi Tea!!

Re: Recover energy

Quote Originally Posted by vermiman
    I'm not trying to create perpetual motion. But I was thinking about placing a waterwheel generator to convert some of the energy of the returning water from the siphon back into electricity. The system that I am thinking about would be powered by a solar panel and battery. It seems like a waterwheel would displace the water a little more and add more O2 to it.
    It adds a lot of O2 to the water.

If you really want to do this you will have to find a DC motor that is rated to run at very, very low RPM. You will have to use gears to get the RPM higher. The amount of energy you capture will be insignificant. You might as well put more money and effort into an extra solar panel!

Members

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer

If you really want to do this you will have to find a DC motor that is rated to run at very, very low RPM. You will have to use gears to get the RPM higher. The amount of energy you capture will be insignificant. You might as well put more money and effort into an extra solar panel!
    I don't plan on spending any money on the motor. First I'll try a printer type stepper motor. If that don't work I'll try to acquire a dc motor out of a treadmill. I know that it takes allot more energy to pump the water up to the growbeds, but I'd like to see how much energy I can capture while the water makes its way back to the aquuarium.

I don't plan on spending any money on the motor. First I'll try a printer type stepper motor. If that don't work I'll try to acquire a dc motor out of a treadmill. I know that it takes allot more energy to pump the water up to the growbeds, but I'd like to see how much energy I can capture while the water makes its way back to the aquuarium.
    Why not just use the mechanical energy to move water rather than convert it from mechanical to electric and back to mechanical. What little energy you capture will be lost to efficiency as well. Maybe as much as 50% will be lost.

Unless your system is big, a treadmill motor will take too much to return energy. You will have to control it to so that you get the right voltage, but that might not be so bad in a system where the flow is constant. A power drill motor might be perfect if you're looking for a smaller motor. Good luck!

Post lots of pictures please!

Members

Why not just use the mechanical energy to move water rather than convert it from mechanical to electric and back to mechanical. What little energy you capture will be lost to efficiency as well. Maybe as much as 50% will be lost.

Unless your system is big, a treadmill motor will take too much to return energy. You will have to control it to so that you get the right voltage, but that might not be so bad in a system where the flow is constant. A power drill motor might be perfect if you're looking for a smaller motor. Good luck!

What if I use the little power that I acquire to power a little DC air pump to aerate the aquarium a little more? Or maybe to aerate the biofilter.

What if I use the little power that I acquire to power a little DC air pump to aerate the aquarium a little more? Or maybe to aerate the biofilter.
    I would imagine, with how little power those aquarium aerators take, that this would be feasible. You might even be able to directly power it without a battery because the power flow should be constant (assuming the battery for the water pump doesn't die). This design could be calculated out, but I think it would be more fun for you to slap it together and take some pictures for us!

Members

Well, you have opened an interesting topic here. I want to know more about your further functionality, how much you are expecting here and in what amount of time you are going to finish it.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by coledexter1920
    Well, you have opened an interesting topic here. I want to know more about your further functionality, how much you are expecting here and in what amount of time you are going to finish it.
    When I started this thread I was just basically thinking out loud. Right now I have just designed my bell syphon and purchased the river gravel for the growbed. As of now I am lacking a pump to pump the water up to the growbed. Is there anyone here that could give me any suggestion in acquiring a pump for the system?

Members

When I started this thread I was just basically thinking out loud. Right now I have just designed my bell syphon and purchased the river gravel for the growbed. As of now I am lacking a pump to pump the water up to the growbed. Is there anyone here that could give me any suggestion in acquiring a pump for the system?
    I got mine off ebay
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Members

Quote Originally Posted by alex281
    I got mine off ebay

Brand and model of pump? Name of seller?