I am an expat from America currently living in the paradise of Chiang Mai, Thailand. I have built my dream house here with a backyard golf practice area. I am in the early stages of designing a backyard 4 Meter X 6 Meter Island Sala (a roofed outdoor kitchen and dining area) to be surrounded by a divided fish pond with Koi on one side for viewing and Tilapia on the other for eating which will be surrounded by growth beds to provide clean water to the fish. My major objective is to provide clean water to the fish and secondary objective is to grow vegetables and herbs that are not easy to obtain in Thailand. I am in the early stages of planning with a lot of questions. I will rely on internet searches for most of my questions but when I cannot find answers I will present questions to the forum. I am also interested in raising crayfish (particuarlly the Austrailian Red Claw) in a seperate concrete tank with a growth bed. (Nothing better than a good crawfish boil and I love Louisiana food and I would love to have a crawfish boil for my Thai neighbors)

My current questions are: 1. My current plans are for 8176 gallons of pond area equally divided between each side. I expect to have 50 Koi on one side and 150 Tilapia on the other. My currently plannned growth bed area is 328 Sq. Ft. As planned is this sufficient growth bed quantity for the fish. All of my research calls for maximun stocking density which will not be maintained in my pond. 2. I am currently divided between the ebb and flow system and the constant flow system using wicking plastic containers for the plants. Any suggestions on this woud be appreciated. I see pluses and minuses with each system. Any suggestions welcomed. 3. Are there any members with information on how to obtain Red Claw Crayfish in Thailand? I have searched intensively and found 1 contact but he has a verbal agreement with his client and cannot sell to me.