Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: How Would You Heat 5000 Gallons?

Wow, great ideas guys. This will give me a lot to think about and research. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven11
    So UF, do you have any pictures of the 5K water tank?
    Still in the planning process, but I have a few options. I will probably go with the cheapest option available to me.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    I will probably go with the cheapest option available to me.
    Cheap no good - good no cheap ~ Old Florida Cracker...... :P
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

For you who is in Florida, building a 5000 Gallon tank outside not only heating it will be an issue, but also cooling it during summer time, depending on what type of fish you will have in it will be another issue.

Building a fish tank is really not that difficult. In order to control the temperature, building it with wood and insulating it got some advantages. Here is how to build a fish tank using 2 X 6 X 10[attachment=2:1qkm5c0o]FT Build up 1one.jpg[/attachment:1qkm5c0o]

[attachment=1:1qkm5c0o]FT Build up 5.jpg[/attachment:1qkm5c0o]

[attachment=0:1qkm5c0o]FT Build up insulation 3.jpg[/attachment:1qkm5c0o]

For a 5K Gallon fish tank, you may use 2 X 6 X 12 and build it for 6 ft of water depth, so 8 ft hight should do it. By the time you add insulation, and then your EPDM, you will have at least a tank with 11.4 X 11.4 size. If you fil it short of 6 feet. you get more than 5K Gallons..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FT Build up 1one.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	3477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FT Build up 5.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	3478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FT Build up insulation 3.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	3479  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There is a price for everything in life!

My 330 gallon IBC is in the ground. Not fun digging that beast by hand...now just have to mate the pipes/connectors.
    Definetly renting the excavator when I do the sea/land cargo container dig in. That's the next "pond".
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Wow foodchain, I don't know what your soil is like...we have mostly sand here, and I wouldn't want to hand dig a hole for an IBC....

Is the sea can for some kind of an underground shelter...?...or are you cutting of the top and making it into a fish tank ? If it's the 2nd one....I wonder if this liner would fit...?
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... -Fish-Tank
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Wow foodchain, I don't know what your soil is like...we have mostly sand here, and I wouldn't want to hand dig a hole for an IBC....

Is the sea can for some kind of an underground shelter...?...or are you cutting of the top and making it into a fish tank ? If it's the 2nd one....I wonder if this liner would fit...?
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... -Fish-Tank
    I just realized that's just the liner.

I think that's meant for more of a 10 yard dumpster. Heavier steel, but at the end of the day they aren't as big as the sea/land containers. The containers are dangerous to use as in ground shelters as they lack the support to retain the soil. Several have collapsed by people doing this.

It will be a pond, but will be sealed from inside with a torch on lining. Only cutting a portion of the top open, and burrying it about 90% in the ground to aid in equalizing the outward pressure of the water, and the inward pressure of the soil. For the techies...I know it's not "equal" but it's a hell of a lot more "equal" than freestanding on top of the ground, which would force me to spend a fortune in bracing.
    Now back to the subject.
    The soil is the insulator, and keeping the top on reduces heat loss, but also minimizes evaporation. I built a prototype and it worked well.
    Similar designs are in use outside Vegas for shrimp farming...seems I am always just a little bit behind on things. Anyway, I reviewed those, found things I think could have been done better or at least better suited to me. Modified the plan/construction and utilized my understanding of differential pressures from offshore work and commercial diving school.

Geodesic green house will go over the top to help balance thermoclines, and container water volume should work as a heat sinc.

But I am a one man operation, wife is not impressed with my PIA projects. (PIA...Pain in the.....)

Almost time to pick up this years prawn juivies....this year is getting ahead of me.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Your right, packed clay w/high moisture content is a pain to dig. Add in mature pecan tree roots....and...you get the idea.
    3500 lb excavator I just found out is $190/24 hours. Damn it. Always doing things backwards.

Members

if you're only cutting a portion of the top, how do you plan on harvesting fish?