Thread: Camelina sativa

Camelina sativa

Check this:
    http://www.biofuelsdigest.com/blog2/200 ... nder-crop/

Could be that the left over mash could be used as tilapia feed and boost the omega-3 levels. The stuff is a weed, requires no cultivation, fertilizer or irregation. It thrives in marginal land with low rainfall of only 10-17" per year, yet yeilds over 100 gallons of biodiesel per acre.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Re: Camelina sativa

I just read several studies of feeding CS to chickens at a rate of 5%-10% of feed. The results say that meat was more tender, but that feed conversion ratios were slightly reduced. There was no significant reduction in consumer acceptance of the meat, but the Omegat-3 content was more than doubled. Chnaces are good this would work with tilapia as well.

Feed conversion ratio in tilapia are already high, so a slight reduction in exchange for doubling the omega-3 content would be well worth it.

Members

Re: Camelina sativa

This report shows that duckweed has recently been found to be a possible Biofuel as well.

Also found this recirculating aquaculture system that treats wastewater from 3000 people all with Duckweed. It produces 500kg of duckweed per day and 110tons of fish per year. The returned water is completely clean..

They could use that 500kg of duckweed per day to create a nice amount of Biofuel. Sounds like a great way to treat wastewater to me. Would be great to use on pig farms and other industries where they have heaps of effluent.

Cheers, Andrew.
    The Aquaponics Map shows backyard aquaponics systems around the world - add yours!

Follow me on Twitter, add me as a friend on Facebook or view my Aquaponics Systems blog.

Duckweed

I've been following duckweed for sometime due to its high protein content. I did not realize it was so high in starch. The North Carolina study showed that it was 45% starch. Convert the starch to sugar, ferment it. Combine the protein, yeast and Camelina, you could have a winner in feed, and lots of excess ethanol to boot.