Members

Insulating an outdoor aquaponics set-up or not?

I'm planning to build an new aquaponics set-up. I live in the Netherlands which has a moderate maritime climate, with cool summers and mild winters. I will be growing lettuce, paprika, tomatoes, basil etc. It will be under protection of plastic in the spring. It will be open in summertime. I am irrigating with an ebb and flow system. Should I insulate it so temperature would not vary to much during day/night? Is it important to keep root temperature stable? What temperature range should is be? Can I use the ebb/flow as a cooling method?

Arnold Boer

Re: Insulating an outdoor aquaponics set-up or not?

I am in texas and our temperature changes hourly. I havent had problems growing the plants you specify.

Keep in mind, the larger body of water you have in your system, the more resistant to temperature change it will be.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldboer
    I'm planning to build an new aquaponics set-up. I live in the Netherlands which has a moderate maritime climate, with cool summers and mild winters. I will be growing lettuce, paprika, tomatoes, basil etc. It will be under protection of plastic in the spring. It will be open in summertime. I am irrigating with an ebb and flow system. Should I insulate it so temperature would not vary to much during day/night? Is it important to keep root temperature stable? What temperature range should is be? Can I use the ebb/flow as a cooling method?

Arnold Boer
    Plants are less susceptible to temperature changes than fish. Keep the temp in the range your fish need and your plants should do fine!

I agree with the above posts. Lettuce, etc all tolerate large swings in temps. My lettuce prefers the cooler springs. Fish on the other hand can be finicky. Build your fish tank/volume tank in the ground. Make it as big as possible/budget will allow. This will minize temp fluctuations, and the dirt will insulate.
    Have fun.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."