Thread: Hello

Members

Hello

All,
    Hello. I normally do not register or use forums so you all can call me a newbie if I ask a dumb "what button" questions. But I am quite impressed by the amount of information that is available on this DIY forum, so I jumped in.

A little background info: I saw a buddy's system and was pretty fascinated by both the equipment set ups and bio processes. I am a total neophyte when it comes to the understanding of bio-processing engines that are producing both the fish and garden. Most of what I know in that arena is what I read on the labels. Although as a civil engineer with quite a bit of engineer experience, (though not particularly with hydrodynamics) I love to build and tinker. So it is with blind-dumb enthusiasm that I take the plunge with little regard or understanding of the pitfalls. But nothing gained if nothing ventured, so what the hay.

About my experience: I am in the Army, currently deployed, but intend on building a small system when I return to Hawaii. Most of my engineering experience is in large scale construction, contingency construction (building with what you have on-hand), and contracting. So if someone has a construction/structural/contracting question, I may be of some help, but no warranty will be implicit on any postings or advice. I will likely need help more on the biology-side of the house, but I am not too proud to ask for help on the design aspect if necessary either. I have read quite a few subjects on the forum, some of which were very “nut & bolts” oriented and detailed, so thank you to all who have contributed. I look forward to learning more on the fundamentals and then later on the intricacies of systems.

First Question: Any systems/reputable stores in Oahu that are worth checking into?
    Thanks!!
    ABNVETTE

Members

Re: Hello

welcome! once you get started, it's hard to stop..
    friendly aquaponics is in HI, but i don't know which island..read lots, and ask questions

Members

Thanks Keith.... Wilco on the studying up, and I will post an update once I get started with some pictures.

Welcome from West Texas. Love the chicken
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Hi abnvette...
    You might also try contacting Chris Smaith at Coastview Aquaponics (dot com). I think he is in Kona. I 'belive' they also have a free farm tour once a month.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Thanks for the contact David, I will. When I get back to Oahu I was planning on visiting the Island anyway and will just have to make a quick visit there . If I find a good place on Oahu I will post it for everyone.

Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction!