Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: My first attempt

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    Why not expanded shale? It's cheaper then hydroton. And shouldn't give you as many root problems.
    I haven't been able to source it locally.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Sand and gravel yard.
    Whiz Q stone,
    and Tex art in DFW.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    Sand and gravel yard.
    Whiz Q stone,
    and Tex art in DFW.

Thanks for the info. That's only 375 miles east. Lubbock is a little short in the materials department.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”

better buy in bulk then.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Well, I decided to go with what was available easily and locally (translate cheap and quick). Today I loaded the grow beds with 3 cubic feet each of 1/2" river gravel. It seemed to pass the vinegar test, though I think the nursery guy at the place thought I was nuts. Everything is in place and has been running nicely for several hours. I did learn that 6 inch drain field pipe floats which makes it kind of tricky to make a standpipe that doesn't float up but that problem was rather easily solved. Now, if it will just get warm enough to put some plants in so I can start the cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by commander
    It seemed to pass the vinegar test, though I think the nursery guy at the place thought I was nuts.
    Don't consider it being 'nuts'....it's more like a passion.... :P

Try explaining what you need to the guy at the harware/big box store too....After they say something like "Your doing 'what with that ?" It's a perfect chance to get to explain aquaponics and try to get someone else 'addicted'...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Now, if it will just get warm enough to put some plants in so I can start the cycling.
    You can start cycling without plants! No need to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    Now, if it will just get warm enough to put some plants in so I can start the cycling.

Well then. As soon as I can do a water change and I let it sit for a few days to gas off the chlorine, I will whiz in the tank and get it going!

Well then. As soon as I can do a water change and I let it sit for a few days to gas off the chlorine, I will whiz in the tank and get it going!
    If you don't have fish in it, why bother with a water change? Just whiz in there and crank her up! Chlorine will gas off just as fast or faster in a moving water system as a stagnant water system! The quicker you get ammonia-laden water circulating through your media, the faster you will establish your bacteria colony and the sooner you can put fish in the system. The sooner the fish, the sooner the nitrates and hence the sooner the plants!

If you don't have fish in it, why bother with a water change? Just whiz in there and crank her up! Chlorine will gas off just as fast or faster in a moving water system as a stagnant water system! The quicker you get ammonia-laden water circulating through your media, the faster you will establish your bacteria colony and the sooner you can put fish in the system. The sooner the fish, the sooner the nitrates and hence the sooner the plants!
    I thought about doing that, but I wasn't as diligent as I should have been about washing my gravel. Hence, I have water that has still has a lot of suspended solids and a nasty brown color. I am going to run it out into my raised soil beds and wash my gravel again and then start the process. I had a thin layer of ice on the top of the tank water yesterday morning so I am not really to interested in spending to much time with my hands in icy water and rock but I also want to get this thing going. Patience is NOT one of my better virtues